PDA

View Full Version : Two remaining issues with compaq portable...

alank2
May 12th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've got it working pretty well now. I only have two small issues if anyone has ideas on how I can fix/improve them.

After completely redoing the keyboard with new capacitive pads, it runs perfect except the space bar. A press in the middle works great, a press on the left works great, but a press on the right does not. It does have a mechanism in it to try to distribute the pressure across the entire bar, but perhaps it has gotten old. Any ideas? Also, some of the keys are squeaky, any ideas on that?

The second issue is the system fan in the power supply area. When turned on, it will vibrate in a pattern that you can hear speed up or slow down that is a bit annoying. I don't think it is a multispeed fan, this is just what it does. Eventually it will warm up and run at a constant, less noticeable speed...

Thanks,

Alan

Stone
May 12th, 2017, 07:21 AM
The fan is easy to replace.

alank2
May 12th, 2017, 08:43 AM
That is true - it is an odd looking one, but I can probably find a replacement at digikey/mouser once I figure out its size, specs, etc. It is 120V!

Malc
May 12th, 2017, 08:51 AM
No part No: or Model No: on it ?

KenEG
May 12th, 2017, 09:11 AM
That is true - it is an odd looking one, but I can probably find a replacement at digikey/mouser once I figure out its size, specs, etc. It is 120V!

A little 3in 1oil on the bearings usually helps. You usually have to remove a plug on the middle of the fan to access the bearings.

alank2
May 12th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Any tips on removing that plug? It looks like a silver circle with 3 notches cut out and inside each of the 3 is another notch. I can post a pic if that helps.

alank2
May 12th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Apparently prying it will work, but it is designed to be rotated and released. Oil did not help, I think the dry area is on the inside of the wheel where I can't apply oil easily. There is a small spring holding the top of the fan on, but I'm not sure if I get get it off without ruining it. Still makes the same noise when back together. Perhaps I'll try to get that spring off and see if I can get the wheel off of it and take a look.

KenEG
May 12th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Apparently prying it will work, but it is designed to be rotated and released. Oil did not help, I think the dry area is on the inside of the wheel where I can't apply oil easily. There is a small spring holding the top of the fan on, but I'm not sure if I get get it off without ruining it. Still makes the same noise when back together. Perhaps I'll try to get that spring off and see if I can get the wheel off of it and take a look.

Try moving the fan in and out on the spindle. Also, I often have to place the fan face down with the bearining cap side up and run it for a while, adding oil if necessary, to get the oil into the places that it needs to be. If the bearings have been run dry for too long, the fan is junk and needs to be replaced, but I seldom have to do so.

alank2
May 12th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Thanks; I thought about trying this lay it flat and hope the oil works it way down into it. There is a spring that looks like it is capturing the fan and it has two grabs on it, they look like the end of a pair of scissors, but much tinier. I might have a tool that can grab them and pry them apart slightly to lift the spring up and out of place (assuming that is what it is). Have you ever had one of these fans apart that far?

KenEG
May 12th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks; I thought about trying this lay it flat and hope the oil works it way down into it. There is a spring that looks like it is capturing the fan and it has two grabs on it, they look like the end of a pair of scissors, but much tinier. I might have a tool that can grab them and pry them apart slightly to lift the spring up and out of place (assuming that is what it is). Have you ever had one of these fans apart that far?

No, and I would hesitiate to do so. The plastic is old and brittle. Very likely to break.

pcdata76
May 17th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Even if you can manage to oil the bearing properly, it won't last long if bearing races/sleeves are worn out. I'd chuck the fan and replace it with an appropriate sized one. I think you can use a 12V DC fan instead by supplying power to the fan from somewhere on the 12V DC output of the power supply.

alank2
May 18th, 2017, 03:49 AM
Good thought - I ordered an AC fan to replace it on Arrow's "free pi" event on Tuesday. Spend $20, get free shipping, get a free pi. I couldn't find an exact size match as it is an odd fan, but I did get one with the same current, speed, and CFM. I'll probably have to zip tie it to the metal grid it blows air though somehow.

alank2
May 18th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Fan worked out well, it even fit the bracket using the same mounting bolts/grommets, I just had to use the opposing two which were a bit wider. It isn't super quiet, but it doesn't have that terrible ticking noise that changes frequency up and down and it is the same rating so it should be safe to use. MPN# 3610PS-12T-B30-A00. This one had posts to solder the wire to directly (or I suppose you could get the right connector, but I just soldered it!). They probably make the same fan with leads, it just wasn't the one I found!