PDA

View Full Version : Suberbrain owners: Run this program for me...

JonB
May 17th, 2017, 12:52 AM
Hi there

I need to find out what values are returned by the Superbrain keyboard when certain keys are pressed so that I can complete the programming of my KR3600-PRO encoder ROM. Anyone with a working Superbrain out there who can help? It requires the entry of a simple BASIC program:

10 k$=inkey$ : REM Get next key
20 if k$="" goto 10 : REM If not pressed, loop back
30 if k$=" " goto 60 : REM If space, exit loop
40 print asc(k$) : REM Otherwise print its value as a number
50 goto 10 : REM Loop back for next key
60 end : REM All done!

The : REM statements are optional. Run the program and hit the following keys:

Up arrow
Down Arrow
Left arrow
Right arrow
HERE IS

(The arrow keys are on the numeric keypad and HERE IS can be found next to the right hand red key.)

Then the same keys with SHIFT held down.

Then the same keys with CTRL held down.

Then the same keys with SHIFT and CTRL both pressed down.

Take a note of the values that appear on the screen at each key press and post them in this thread.

Hit the space bar to exit the program.

Thanks
JonB

snuci
May 17th, 2017, 02:48 AM
Hi JonB,

Not sure if this will help but did you check the schematics posted in this thread: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?57212

The "CPU_keys" schematic has the keyboard matrix, which should help.

I have a working Superbrain but no disks so unless BASIC is in ROM, I can't help. I haven't yet recreated diskettes so I haven't located those yet either. If I need to, I can try to create the disks.

JonB
May 17th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Hello snuci

Yes, I have the schematic and I can see the keyboard matrix wiring. However, I don't know what codes the KR3600 in the Superbrain is programmed to output for the keys I mentioned. You may recall that I am having to build an alternative keyboard encoder circuit for mine, as my KR3600 is dead and I doubt there are any spares (it is a standard part with a custom ROM inside it that provides the XY -> ASCII key code mapping). Obviously, the standard ASCII keys can be derived from any ASCII table, but the arrow and HERE IS keys are not ASCII standard. Nevertheless, I have produced a ROM map which I posted on the other thread (http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?57750-Superbrain-KR3600-adapter-boards) - I just need to close these few gaps, then it can be completed.

:)

alan8086
May 17th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Hi - PM me your address and ill send you one of my spare keyboard encoder chips. I think its great that you are coming up with alternatives to this sort of issue however so please, carry on with this project! I have maybe two of the older looking kind with gold plating in a ceramic package, they all have a pin or two Hal missing. I also have two or three presumably later ones in the usual black package. Any preference?

snuci
May 17th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Yes, I have the schematic and I can see the keyboard matrix wiring.

Sorry but when I saw the rows and columns, I thought those were ASCII code on the top row/left most column.

If I can make some disks with BASIC, I'l be happy to run the program so you can continue.

Santo

JonB
May 17th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Hi Alan, PM sent.

@snuci - that's OK. When you read the datasheet for the encoder chip you can see that the row / column number equates to the input pin for the chip, and then the chip derives the ASCII code by looking it up in its ROM (which Intertec had programmed by SMC, the chip maker, when they ordered them). Interesting factoid: I could "decap" the chip and read off its key map using a microscope trained on the die. There is a chap who does this as a hobby. Problem is, I have no microscope...

ldkraemer
May 17th, 2017, 11:23 AM
snuci,
I'll send you the SBrain32.ZIP that has the mbasic program tomorrow morning (during my FREE Access time).
It will also have the .TD0 & .IMD file

Larry

snuci
May 17th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Thanks to Larry, I got the disk image and made a disk. Unfortunately, my Superbrain doesn't work properly so I can't help at this point. I get the standard prompt when I boot up but when I put the diskette in and close the door, the diskette boots up into a garbled screen. I must have a bad memory chip. I can type in "mbasic" and even typed in the program blind and it worked great (every time I hit a key, it showed something and went to the next line until I hot the space bar.

Here's what I saw:

Sorry I couldn't help but at least I have a working bootable floppy. Thanks ldkraemer.

JonB
May 17th, 2017, 10:57 PM
hi snuci

That looks like the CRT-8002 chip has gone bad. Could also be memory, but I'd suspect the 8002 first. Check that the mode select pins are being set properly by the 8255. Pin 25 and 26 on the CRT-8002 should be both high (+5v or TTL Logic 1). If they are not, your 8255 may be bad. Try connecting both the pins to +5v.

Of course, this doesn't help the rest of the screen, which appears to be reversed. Check pin 21 isn't stuck high (that controls the reverse video attribute).

Cheers
JonB

StephenM
May 29th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Hi there

I need to find out what values are returned by the Superbrain keyboard when certain keys are pressed so that I can complete the programming of my KR3600-PRO encoder ROM. Anyone with a working Superbrain out there who can help? It requires the entry of a simple BASIC program:

10 k$=inkey$ : REM Get next key
20 if k$="" goto 10 : REM If not pressed, loop back
30 if k$=" " goto 60 : REM If space, exit loop
40 print asc(k$) : REM Otherwise print its value as a number
50 goto 10 : REM Loop back for next key
60 end : REM All done!

The : REM statements are optional. Run the program and hit the following keys:

Up arrow
Down Arrow
Left arrow
Right arrow
HERE IS

(The arrow keys are on the numeric keypad and HERE IS can be found next to the right hand red key.)

Then the same keys with SHIFT held down.

Then the same keys with CTRL held down.

Then the same keys with SHIFT and CTRL both pressed down.

Take a note of the values that appear on the screen at each key press and post them in this thread.

Hit the space bar to exit the program.

Thanks
JonB

Hi Jon,
Here is the list of ASCII keys you asked for.

Up = 11
Down = 10
Left = 8
Right = 6
Here is = 5
No change with shift or ctrl held down.

Stephen

JonB
May 31st, 2017, 12:25 AM
Thanks Stephen, I have updated the ROM and uploaded a new zip file.

** Untested until I get the carrier boards back from OSH Park ***