PDA

View Full Version : There are retrotech cards for everything else - what about graphics?

FalconFour
May 21st, 2017, 05:21 PM
We've got RAM expansions, IDE, and even USB controllers. Network cards and modems are everywhere. I'm swimming in NICs and modems.

But I cannot for the life of me find a graphics adapter.

I found a nice, pretty clean IBM 5150 PC, with just 64K memory, dual 5.25" floppies, a floppy controller, and... an IBM MDA card. Boo! I can't connect that to anything in the modern world. :(

So, I'd been hunting around for a graphics option, something so that I might be able to flip it on and try it out. Hunting around eBay gets me odd results and some possible cards with $45-50 price tags... is that reasonable?

I know the BIOS is the old version (original), not capable of using VGA card option ROMs - yet. But I can burn an EPROM and throw it in there, not too much trouble. Heck, maybe combine all 3 ROMs onto a single EPROM and adapt it to the sockets (if that's possible).

Has nobody really done any retrotech (as I'd call it) cards like the Lo-Tech series, but for graphics capabilities? :confused: