PDA

View Full Version : What Motherboard does this thing go to?

Syclops
May 22nd, 2017, 10:32 AM
I've got this rather odd PCI Controller Card with a Floppy Drive Port / 2 IDE Hard Drive Ports / 2 Serial Ports / 1 Parallel Port / 1 Game Port with a Paddle Card that plugs into a 16 Bit ISA Slot, and I'm trying to figure out what Motherboards it was designed to be used in.

Anyone have any input on identifying this card and what it goes to?

Stone
May 22nd, 2017, 10:37 AM
That's ISA not VLB.

Chuck(G)
May 22nd, 2017, 11:56 AM
The ISA is almost certainly for the floppy support (and probably other devices) as well. Floppy requires legacy (ISA) DMA for operation--while it's not impossible, it's a bear to implement a legacy-compatible PCI floppy controller. Usually involves a PCI-ISA bridge.

Syclops
May 22nd, 2017, 12:31 PM
That's ISA not VLB.

You are correct Sir! I stand corrected. (Fixed the post too.)

Xacalite
May 22nd, 2017, 02:37 PM
Weird card, indeed.
I think you can use it with any ISA+PCI mobo.
Why did they make it like this, instead of simply providing one PCI card, and one ISA?
Maybe for some compact case, where there's no room for two full-height cards?
Or for those "shared slots", where ISA and PCI slots are so close together, that you can't install two normal cards at the same time?

evildragon
May 22nd, 2017, 02:51 PM
Weird card, indeed.
I think you can use it with any ISA+PCI mobo.
Why did they make it like this, instead of simply providing one PCI card, and one ISA?
Maybe for some compact case, where there's no room for two full-height cards?
Or for those "shared slots", where ISA and PCI slots are so close together, that you can't install two normal cards at the same time?

It's cheaper to produce one card with all the logic, and just have a daughter card with no logic that's small, rather than 2 full cards with logic on it.

evildragon
May 22nd, 2017, 02:52 PM
I agree with Chuck, that ISA daughter card is definitely for the floppy drive. Following the traces from the floppy connector lead to the Winbond IC, and that goes to the ISA connector.

Syclops
May 22nd, 2017, 03:23 PM
I think I had a Motherboard that it went to at one point in time, either a 486 Motherboard or Early Pentium VLB Motherboard that didn't have any FDD / HHD or I/O Controller built into it.

Chuck(G)
May 22nd, 2017, 03:28 PM
I agree with Chuck, that ISA daughter card is definitely for the floppy drive. Following the traces from the floppy connector lead to the Winbond IC, and that goes to the ISA connector.

I've seen one of these before described as a "PCI Floppy Controller". It was missing the ribbon cable-to-ISA dingus. My only response was "Get back to me on how well it works..."

Never did get a follow-up.

Syclops
May 22nd, 2017, 08:18 PM
DING! DING! I might have a winner here. Not necessarily the ONLY Motherboard that could use this, but definitely one that NEEDS this.

Gigabyte GA-586IP

Introduced in March 1994, one of the first Socket 7 Mainboards.
Chipset: Intel 430NX Neptune, SMP supported, FPM DRAM, P75+, 66 MHz FSB, 512 MB max. / L2 cacheable 512 MB, Parity, PCI 2.0 Async. L2 cache
Southbridge: 82378IB/ZB (SIO) ,
Characteristics: No ATA Interface Onboard (SIO has No IDE Controller Integrated), No USB

Syclops
May 22nd, 2017, 08:28 PM
OK, here is the funny part. This is the EXACT Motherboard that it use to go to, and I use to own one, and I sold it to a guy on eBay about 2 1/2 Years ago. LOL!

evildragon
May 22nd, 2017, 08:34 PM
There were a lot of motherboards however, that were 486 era that had no IDE or floppy controller onboard. It's not the first time I've seen one. I have one under my desk, but ISA only.

Xacalite
May 23rd, 2017, 05:23 AM
There were a lot of motherboards however, that were 486 era that had no IDE or floppy controller onboard. It's not the first time I've seen one. I have one under my desk, but ISA only.
Well, for ISA-only and ISA+VLB boards it was typical to have no integrated peripherals.
For ISA+PCI, however, it was rare, such boards usually had at least integrated IDE.