PDA

View Full Version : Tandberg Data TDV 2200

fandenivoldsk
May 24th, 2017, 02:03 AM
Anyone here who know if the Tandberg Data TDV 2200 has a RS-232 serial port?
I am not sure if I am asking in the right forum...

KC9UDX
May 24th, 2017, 02:29 AM
I don't know that I've ever seen one, but this site http://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/Tandberg_TDV_2220 says it has v.24, which as far as I know is the same as RS-232C. But I could be wrong, and if so hopefully someone here can correct me.

Chuck(G)
May 24th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Look over at the side panel on the page. RS-232C is clearly stated.

We had one of these for evaluation around 1982. It didn't have the desk stand, but rather an "arm" stand that attached to the desk. I loved that terminal--it was a pleasure on the eyes--an early "ergonomic" effort. Note the color of the keys on the keyboard--distinct, but muted shades of color so as not to be tiring to the eyes. I recall that the display was set for a modest contrast--the background was never "black".

Alas, the terminal was too expensive for the project, so we ended up sourcing some Beehive VT-100-type terminals. At least those had an anti-glare screen mesh.

fandenivoldsk
May 24th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Thank you for your comments! I have the opportunity to buy the TDV 2200 terminal in the picture (monitor/keyboard), but the seller says that the screen stays black/"dead", when he switch on the power, so he thinks it is not working. But I was thinking that maybe the monitor is black because it is a "dumb" terminal that is not connected to a mainframe or mini-computer? Or should there be something on the screen when powered on? Should I still get it, or is it stupid to get a terminal with no screen output?

Chuck(G)
May 24th, 2017, 11:43 AM
My recollection is that the screen is set to display a background raster normally. However, it could be that the screen controls are set very low. Difficult to say for certain.

I recall that Norsk Data rebadged and used quite a number of these.

KC9UDX
May 24th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Look over at the side panel on the page. RS-232C is clearly stated.

It appears that what is supposed to be a side panel is rendered as background at the bottom of the page on my phone. Another symptom of modern HTML.

KC9UDX
May 24th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Thank you for your comments! I have the opportunity to buy the TDV 2200 terminal in the picture (monitor/keyboard), but the seller says that the screen stays black/"dead", when he switch on the power, so he thinks it is not working. But I was thinking that maybe the monitor is black because it is a "dumb" terminal that is not connected to a mainframe or mini-computer? Or should there be something on the screen when powered on? Should I still get it, or is it stupid to get a terminal with no screen output?

It depends on the price. I wouldn't pay much for something that is either clearly dead, or, best presumed dead by the seller. What usually matters most to me is that the casework is intact, the keys are all there, and the CRT doesn't appear to have evidence of a leak.

Although from what I've gathered with forum members here successfully sourcing CRTs and my own bad experience sourcing flybacks and specialty components for CRT displays in recent years, perhaps something with a broken CRT is more salvagable than something with evidently no raster! But realistically a dead display could be as simple as a blown fuse or improper adjustment.

tingo
May 25th, 2017, 01:03 PM
You should at least see a cursor on the screen, either a line cursor , or a block (larger) cursor. I addition, the LED for power (labeled "on") and one other LED should be lit on the keyboard.
See the album here for a couple of pictures: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/album.php?albumid=372
(yes, cell phone quality, sorry.)

fandenivoldsk
May 27th, 2017, 04:41 AM
Thank you guys! I will write the seller and ask if he sees a cursor.

Tor
June 1st, 2017, 12:15 AM
It has both RS-232 and current loop, if I remember correctly (Torfinn can correct me if memory cell loss has occured). I would buy that thing whether it works or not. Schematics exist, and they are quite rare. I regret that I didn't keep any from back then. Not to mention my wonderful TDV2400.. :-(

rwiker
June 1st, 2017, 10:40 AM
I regret throwing away my TDV1200 - with great cleanups come great remorse.

tingo
June 10th, 2017, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't mind having a TDV1200 myself, but they are harder to find then hen's teeth these days.