PDA

View Full Version : Disk Drive Spindle Identification

MossyRock
May 28th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Hello,

I have an issue that I'm hoping that someone here can help me resolve.

I have acquired an old disk drive spindle for a project that I am working on. The seller of this spindle was once a disk drive parts supplier, and he said that this spindle is for "200/300MB packs" which are essentially IBM 3330-type packs. I have two such packs from other manufacturers (CDC 883-91 and a similar Dysan pack). The packs appear to sit properly on the spindle but they will not screw down and mount indicating that the pack locking posts are not compatible with the spindle's pack locking assembly.

Out of curiosity, I also tried my CDC 9877 5-high pack on it and it will not screw down, either.

On the spindle are these part number markings: "330 2005-02 H" and "RA2680." The spindle is huge and heavy (30 pounds).

I've attached pictures of the spindle, one picture where I have the spindle set into my temporary test bed, showing the CDC 883-91 pack.

I have spent hours digging into CDC (Control Data Corporation) and DEC disk drive documents on bitsavers.org trying to locate these part numbers, but to no avail.

If anyone can identify the make and model of the disk drive that this spindle is for, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.