PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help me identify the missing chip on my TurboEGA card?

username1
May 29th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Hi everyone, new to the forums some I heard this was the place to go for this sort of thing.

So, I just recently got some old IBM cards. I think they're ISA. Two are complete and I discovered they're just the monochrome display ones, but I also have an Orchid Turbo EGA card. From what I've read, this is a graphics card and accelerator, which sounds really neat so I'd like to get it working. As opposed to photos I've seen, mine has stickers over some ICs marked "version 1.0". I've attached a photo of the card. It's almost complete but missing a 40 pin chip in the top left of the board. If anyone knows where I can get the chip to finish it off, that'd be a great help. Thanks!

modem7
May 31st, 2017, 12:15 AM
Hi everyone, new to the forums some I heard this was the place to go for this sort of thing.
Welcome to these forums.

I've attached a photo of the card. It's almost complete but missing a 40 pin chip in the top left of the board. If anyone knows where I can get the chip to finish it off, that'd be a great help. Thanks!
The photo in the article at [here (https://books.google.com.au/books?id=LRBokcwLB70C&pg=PA324&lpg=PA324&dq=Orchid+Turbo+EGA&source=bl&ots=LgfScMh144&sig=pO-iY_IiWhNOC2fEmDQJ46Yu6ns&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj74Y6S1JnUAhWKoJQKHYYTBS4Q6AEIMDAD#v=on epage&q=Orchid%20Turbo%20EGA&f=false)] shows that the socket is normally empty.
The article also indicates that a socket is provided for an 80287 (a 40-pin chip), so that will be the chip for the socket (if desired).
As to what speed rating is required for the optional 80287, the article includes:

username1
May 31st, 2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks a lot! I am glad to know I do not need to source a hard to find chip unless I want a coprocessor, so for now I'll leave it. The photo you attached doesn't have my cable on it, what is that supposed to attach to?

modem7
June 23rd, 2017, 07:45 PM
Thanks a lot! I am glad to know I do not need to source a hard to find chip unless I want a coprocessor, so for now I'll leave it. The photo you attached doesn't have my cable on it, what is that supposed to attach to?
The magazine article that I pointed to has the answer. The Turbo EGA card is both a video card and an accelerator card. You remove the 8088 CPU on your motherboard, then plug the cable end into the CPU socket. That boosts the performance of your computer.