PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5170 and the Quadtel Enhanced 286 BIOS

lutiana
June 3rd, 2017, 11:09 PM
Ok, so I finally got around to burning the EPROMs with the Quadtel bios and it worked out just fine.

But here are the odd things I have getting, when it finishes the RAM check I get:

80287 internal register error

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> for Setup ...

I hit F1 and I get

Diskette error - Press any key

Press a key and it boots to DOS on the 1.44Mb floppy in the drive.

I guess the first message means I have a bad FPU? Is there a way I can test this to make sure it's the chip and not the BIOS?

The second error, the diskette one, I cannot explain. Both drives work just fine. One is a 1.44Mb drive the other is a 1.2Mb drive. They are plugged into a generic 16bit ISA IDE controller (the kind without IO ports). Any suggestions on this one?

EDIT: Norton System info reports that there is an 80387 installed, which is odd, and very wrong. The chip is a gold capped C80287XL

Malc
June 4th, 2017, 04:41 AM
Give 87test (ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/simtel_msdos/msdos/emulate/87test.zip) a try or checkit 3x, I tried the quadtel bios very briefly but i don't have an FPU fitted, I have a generic 16-bit ISA/IDE controller fitted and it seemed to work fine, The only thing i noticed was the 2010 year limit, I use the AMI bios in my 5170 and 5162 and it works fine.

Anonymous Coward
June 4th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Nope, Norton System Info is correct. Internally the 80287XL is really a 387SX.

Rauli
June 4th, 2017, 06:40 AM
EDIT: Norton System info reports that there is an 80387 installed, which is odd, and very wrong. The chip is a gold capped C80287XL

The 287XL is a 387 circuit in a 287 wrapping, so reporting an "80387" is more exact than reporting an "80287". Maybe the reason about your BIOS error is the BIOS expects a genuine 287 and if it notices a different behaviour it complains about an internal register error.

Use the 87test mentioned above, it should be a more comprehensive test than the BIOS. I think 87test performs real maths, while the BIOS just checks some flags.

booboo
June 4th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Rauli's advice seems spot on... I would try a "normal" 80287 before continuing further, and see if the Quadtel BIOS proceeds without error. I highly doubt the BIOS would recognize a newer math coprocessor.

lutiana
June 4th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys. I was thinking it was the XL version that is giving issue, but I don't have a regular 287 on hand to test this. I am, however, pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with the 287 since most of the benchmarks I ran work just fine.

This would not explain the diskette error issue...

That said, I've switched over to the AMI bios, which works without issue, however I really prefer the Quadtel, it was a bit faster to boot, so maybe I'll revisit it at some point.

fatwizard
June 5th, 2017, 06:26 PM
I have been running the Quadtel bios in my 5170 for over a year now with no issues. My system has a standard 80287 and the stock Western Digital drive controller with a 1.2 as A: and a 1.44 as B: I would be tempted to pull the mathco and see if the floppy error happened to go away as well.

lutiana
June 5th, 2017, 07:07 PM
I have been running the Quadtel bios in my 5170 for over a year now with no issues. My system has a standard 80287 and the stock Western Digital drive controller with a 1.2 as A: and a 1.44 as B: I would be tempted to pull the mathco and see if the floppy error happened to go away as well.

I did not try that BIOS without my 80287XL in, which is something I intend to do. If the diskette error also goes away then it would be have to be tied to the 80287XL somehow. Is your 80287 the regular one, or the XL?

With the XT-IDE BIOS in the thing, the diskette error is a non issue, as it loads that BIOS before the Diskette error shows up thereby side stepping it. I think the diskette error occurs after post, so it may not be related to the 80287XT at all.

What revision motherboard do you have? I believe mine is a REV 1