PDA

View Full Version : Leading Edge Model D RTC problem

BinaryAssasin
June 4th, 2017, 12:02 AM
I'm having an unusual issue with a Leading Edge Model D computer with DOS 3.2 (Phoenix OEM) bootdisk. I changed out the barrel battery or a for a 2032 holder and LR2032 (Li-ion rechargable 3.6v 50mA). I changed the date to the current as well as the time and shut down. After I booted it up after a few minutes and checked the date and time they were both reset. I then tried changing the date to something before year 2000 to make sure it wasn't a counting issue. It reset again once i restarted. I checked contunity and voltage and with the computer disconnected I get power to the RTC from the battery and the battery is outputting power from the holder. I'm at a loss as to what it could be at this point? Tomorrow I'll see if i can somehow run the bios setup program from disk for the computer and see if i get any errors with the RTC. Any help would be appreciated! I tried to run the DIAGNOSE and set the clock and date and BIOS setup program but on the BIOS setup program I get the error RTC CLOCK LOST POWER. It says hit any key to continue but it seems to hang at that point. This is happening on two Leading Edge model D's I have

RWallmow
June 6th, 2017, 04:33 AM
I'm having an unusual issue with a Leading Edge Model D computer with DOS 3.2 (Phoenix OEM) bootdisk. I changed out the barrel battery or a for a 2032 holder and LR2032 (Li-ion rechargable 3.6v 50mA). I changed the date to the current as well as the time and shut down. After I booted it up after a few minutes and checked the date and time they were both reset. I then tried changing the date to something before year 2000 to make sure it wasn't a counting issue. It reset again once i restarted. I checked contunity and voltage and with the computer disconnected I get power to the RTC from the battery and the battery is outputting power from the holder. I'm at a loss as to what it could be at this point? Tomorrow I'll see if i can somehow run the bios setup program from disk for the computer and see if i get any errors with the RTC. Any help would be appreciated! I tried to run the DIAGNOSE and set the clock and date and BIOS setup program but on the BIOS setup program I get the error RTC CLOCK LOST POWER. It says hit any key to continue but it seems to hang at that point. This is happening on two Leading Edge model D's I have

I know it's probably a long shot and unlikely, but since I don't know the specs on the original barrel batteries, maybe your CR2032 replacement just can't supply enough current to power the RTC? Have you tried powering it with a more substantial battery pack or even a bench power supply to see if that works and it holds it's time?

3pcedev
June 10th, 2017, 12:22 AM
By any chance was the barrel battery leaking?

I had a leaking battery on a motherboard which I removed and replaced with another 3.6V battery. The same error that you described kept occurring. One of the traces from the battery solder pad had internally corroded due to the leakage which resulted in a broken circuit to the RTC/CMOS.

glitch
June 10th, 2017, 06:16 AM
Yeah, if there's been leakage it may have affected inner traces that you can't immediately see. I don't remember if the Model D is a multilayer board or not. Been going through the same thing with 386/486 motherboards.