PDA

View Full Version : Miniscribe 8425XT, looking for info / specs

naens
June 5th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Hello,

I'm totally new to PC's and computing. I have a Miniscribe 8425XT hard drive on a Zenith EazyPC (that doesn't boot neither from floppy nor from HD). I'm looking for the information about the interface for two reasons. First, I would like, if possible, read the data from this disk (probably using Raspberry PI or other things that can do it). Second, if it cannot be used I would have to replace it. It seems the interface is called "Integrated XT", and some say that it's different from other interfaces. On the other hand, another person having an EazyPC, http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?51309-Zenith-eaZy-PC-not-so-easy-repair&p=403020#post403020, uses a WD hard drive. Does it mean that it's compatible or that it's another model using another interface? I tried to find the specifications of 8425XT on Internet, but couldn't find anything. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

fatwizard
June 6th, 2017, 09:09 AM
The XT-IDE is an 8bit IDE interface, similar, but not identical to standard IDE drives. It was used on some systems but never became popular since 8bit systems were on their way out by then. The 8425XT is a 21 meg drive with 4 heads and 17 sectors per track. The WD drive pictured in the other thread about the EasyPC is undoubtedly one of WD's XT-IDE drives. The following chart shows the pinout for an XT-IDE drive.

I hope this helps.

Chuck(G)
June 6th, 2017, 09:20 AM
It's also worthwhile observing that the XT-IDE drives use different I/O port mappings and most closely resemble an XT MFM drive controller as far as the software interface is concerned.

vwestlife
June 6th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Those 3.5" MiniScribe drives often suffer from stiction. If it won't spin when you turn on the power, rotate the interruptor (the part that has a big warning pointing to it saying "DO NOT ROTATE INTERRUPTOR" :) ) to free up the mechanism.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RG9LuCkqWJY/maxresdefault.jpg

naens
June 7th, 2017, 07:05 AM
The XT-IDE is an 8bit IDE interface, similar, but not identical to standard IDE drives. It was used on some systems but never became popular since 8bit systems were on their way out by then. The 8425XT is a 21 meg drive with 4 heads and 17 sectors per track. The WD drive pictured in the other thread about the EasyPC is undoubtedly one of WD's XT-IDE drives. The following chart shows the pinout for an XT-IDE drive.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. Is there a way to know if a given drive is compatible? For example if I find a hard drive on Internet, is it possible to know if it will work with my PC before buying it?

Those 3.5" MiniScribe drives often suffer from stiction. If it won't spin when you turn on the power, rotate the interruptor (the part that has a big warning pointing to it saying "DO NOT ROTATE INTERRUPTOR" :) ) to free up the mechanism.

Thanks. I will try it. I was afraid to touch it...