PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic Sr. Partner Keyboard protocol

spiceminer
June 15th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Hello!

I recently got a Panasonic Sr. Partner without keyboard. Unfortunately, the connector has a male 8-pin mini-DIN format. Does anybody know if there is the possibility to make an adapter to connect a standard XT style keyboard? Or is the keyboard protocol non standard and I have to wait for an original keyboard to show up anywhere?

Regards
Stephan

Trixter
June 16th, 2017, 09:36 AM
I checked my manual for the Nixdorf 8810/25 (same system, just OEM'd to a German company) and was unable to find a pinout/signal diagram of the keyboard. It is likely that the keyboard uses XT signaling, since the keyboard doesn't have any post-XT features like LEDs or a mouse port. A multimeter can help determine which pin(s) carry +5vdc but you'd have to find the clock, ground, and data pins through trial and error.

Because an attachable keyboard is so much a part of a luggable system's "identity" for several reasons, I'm having trouble understanding how yours is missing: How was it ever moved more than a few feet away from the system unit? How was it lost? Even if it were broken, it still serves as a protective cover for the screen, and a stand so you can set the system down the floor like a piece of luggage. Did you pay money for a luggable without its keyboard?

Chuck(G)
June 16th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Jim, I have the answer to the "why". Keyboard collectors--don't give a flying fig about the machine, just want the keyboards. :(

Trixter
June 16th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Anyone who separates a custom keyboard from a custom base unit should have one of their own appendages suitably separated from their base unit.

Chuck(G)
June 16th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Lest there be any doubt (https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3uqccy/panasonic_sr_partner_mechanical_or_not/)

AlexC
June 16th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Lest there be any doubt (https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3uqccy/panasonic_sr_partner_mechanical_or_not/)

I have a Sr Partner and the keyboard is average at best. Not mechanical, wasn't even reviewed positively at the time. I don't know why anyone would pilfer it. If anything I'd go the opposite way, and find a decent keyboard to improve the usability of the computer itself.

Chuck(G)
June 16th, 2017, 12:53 PM
You're trying to attribute logic to the keyboard hoarders. The Sr. Partner does have nice keycaps, but the big issue is that it serves as a lid for the luggable.

bobba84
June 17th, 2017, 03:51 AM
anyone who separates a custom keyboard from a custom base unit should have one of their own appendages suitably separated from their base unit.

hahahahahahaha!

spiceminer
June 25th, 2017, 10:21 AM
How was it lost? Even if it were broken, it still serves as a protective cover for the screen, and a stand so you can set the system down the floor like a piece of luggage. Did you pay money for a luggable without its keyboard?

I do not know the specific history of that individual unit. I got it for free from a friend. Drives are missing, the case is in bad overall state but its my only portable PC from that era and I think its worth preserving.