PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Graphics Monitor

snotrockits
June 16th, 2017, 11:17 AM
Hi,

I just recently came into possession of a Princeton Graphics HX-12 RGB. Powers up, but I have no way of testing it as I dont have an older system to test it with. Anyone know any resource or reference material or possibly any way to get one of these older monitors to work with newer computers. I've already tried a 15-pin to 9-pin adapter, but I dont think any of my systems can get resolution that low (or do interlaced). I'd love to utilize it for projects.

Or if none of the above possibly direct me to someone that might be interested in this monitor as I'd also love to see it go to a good home. :confused:

Thanks!

3913039131:

Anonymous Coward
June 18th, 2017, 04:40 AM
I don't believe that monitor is capable of multisync, so if you hooked up to a modern VGA adapter in the best case it simply wouldn't work, and in the worst case is would fry it.

Stone
June 18th, 2017, 04:57 AM
It's not VGA compatible. You'd need a CGA card or possibly an EGA card to test it.

gslick
June 18th, 2017, 07:50 AM
It looks like the HX-12 is a CGA monitor, while the later HX-12E is an EGA monitor.

When I first bought an IBM PC 5150 brand new in 1983 I didn't buy an IBM 5153 CGA monitor from the dealer. They gave me a hard time about that and gave me the story that they couldn't fully test the system at delivery if they didn't supply a monitor with the PC. I bought a Princeton Graphics CGA monitor from a 3rd party dealer instead, it must have been an HX-12. I wasn't happy with it at first as the individual pixels in text characters appeared more distinct compared to an IBM 5153 monitor pixels blending together a bit more and made the text slightly more tiresome to look at.

DJA9700
August 31st, 2017, 12:12 PM
As I have mentioned I am fairly new at these vintage computers and monitors. I have been looking around the internet and E-bay for a few monitors. I have found a good (IBM 5151 monochrome) a few days ago, cost quite a bit, but I think it's new. That's how I happen to see your (princeton graphics monitor) searching the internet. The condition yours looks to be in and the cost mite be a good deal to take the chance. As of now my budget is kinda limited for a few weeks. I am kinda looking at a few other monitors also, for in the future to consider buying. It mite be some what of a inconvenience for you to (box, package and ship yours). Maybe we will hold off for a bit on this deal, if you have the chance to sell it to someone else buy all means do so. I will keep your monitor in mind and possibly make contact back with you in the near future to see if it is still for sale. There are also a few other things that happen to these vintage monitors with age and usage, such as (color fading, shadowing) and such from what I have read. Yours mite be a good working monitor just do some internet research about it before you go to try to use it as I mentioned it needs to be connected properly, there's a risk if not. Thanks for now, possibly talk to you in the near future

commodorejohn
August 31st, 2017, 02:31 PM
I missed this thread the first time around, but if you're still wanting to test this, I'm in your general neighborhood and have a Tandy that should be compatible with it. If you wanted to bring it up my way, we could see if it works.

MindThreat
September 1st, 2017, 04:41 AM
Man, that thing is 30W shy of an easy bake oven. Really take for granted how little power our modern day electronics consume... "Ever since you got that Princeton Monitor, our light bill has shot through the roof Mister!" ;-)

tipc
September 1st, 2017, 07:38 AM
I had once thought there would be a lucrative business selling vintage computers as decorative night lights. I guess no then?

Why are you running the thing 10 hours a day dude? Are you in fact afraid of the dark?

MindThreat
September 1st, 2017, 08:30 AM
I had once thought there would be a lucrative business selling vintage computers as decorative night lights. I guess no then?

Why are you running the thing 10 hours a day dude? Are you in fact afraid of the dark?

Maybe if you include a blacklight in the mix to aim at the CRT screen to see how it glows =D