PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Flashing XTIDE Bios on an Olivetti M24

AlG
June 18th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Hello,

I've recently purchased one of Glitchs XTIDE Rev 3 cards, which I've assembled myself.

I'm having problems flashing it on a Olivetti M24.
I'm getting one of the following two error messages:
- EEPROM did not return the same byte that was written EEPROM was not flashed properly!
- Timeout when polling EEPROM. EEPROM was not flashed properly!
(although I don't seem to be able to get the first message again)

I've got a set the the default dip switch/jumpers.
I've tried installing both v1.1.5 and newer versions of the BIOS and am getting similar flashing errors.

I've found forum posts of XTIDE being successfully used in Olivetti M24s (AT&T 63000), but was wondering if anyone had any luck flashing one in such a machine.
(I'm aware the M24 cannot use the chuck mod)

I know there's a fair probablility that it's down to my soldering, although I was careful throughout assembling the board. I just thought I'd ask for some advice before re-attacking it with my soldering iron.
Of course it could also be an issue with my M24 I suppose, but I don't have any other ISA BUS motherboards to try it on.

Thanks,

Alastair

Malc
June 18th, 2017, 11:47 AM
I know nothing about the M24 never had one but the error messages can be caused by bad solder joint/s or a bad flash, If it's a bad flash the only way i found to fix it was to erase the EEPROM in a programmer, First though i would go over all solder joints, Use a magnifying glass and Re-flow any suspect joints.

Chuck(G)
June 18th, 2017, 12:19 PM
If at all possible, I program EEPROMs in a regular PROM programmer. One less thing to worry about.

USB PROM programmers are cheap and handy to have around, just in case you want to rework some of your old system BIOSes.

Dwight Elvey
June 18th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I suspect the default is to have the write enable to the EEPROM set
off. That would be SW1-8. It would need to be on to update the
EEPROM on the XTIDE. Also the enable must be on as well SW1-7.
Dwight

Malc
June 18th, 2017, 01:09 PM
If at all possible, I program EEPROMs in a regular PROM programmer. One less thing to worry about.
USB PROM programmers are cheap and handy to have around, just in case you want to rework some of your old system BIOSes.

I agree i've done the same, I have a GQ4 i bought new in 2010, A great little programmer mind you it wasn't that cheap when i got it, Not as cheap as some you can get today.

AlG
June 29th, 2017, 10:03 AM
It seems it was a bad EEPROM chip, I bought a new one off ebay and that flashed first time.
maybe I did something wrong with the first chip, or maybe some of my re-soldering work made a difference.

Whatever it was, I've now got a working XTIDE card :)

I'll look into an EEPROM programmer for next time.

Thanks for all the advice.

- Al

glitch
June 29th, 2017, 10:11 AM
It seems it was a bad EEPROM chip, I bought a new one off ebay and that flashed first time.

Let me know if you'd like a replacement or if you'd like me to refund you the cost of the EEPROM. It seems the last order of AT28C64Bs contained at least some used/relabel ICs, despite the chip supplier I use being very reliable and providing a chain of custody/authenticity document. I'm in the process of working out whether I'll be using that particular supplier ever again...very sorry for the headache.