PDA

View Full Version : IBM PC XT, HP-150 touchscreen and cassette deck questions

Gfbtdhg1
June 24th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Is it possible to wire an HP 150 screen to work as a monitor AND a mouse with touchscreen on an IBM PC or compatible?
Also I see that there is a cassette port on the back of the 5150. Did IBM ever make a cassette attachment?

SpidersWeb
June 24th, 2017, 10:30 PM
Is it possible to wire an HP 150 screen to work as a monitor AND a mouse with touchscreen on an IBM PC or compatible?
Also I see that there is a cassette port on the back of the 5150. Did IBM ever make a cassette attachment?

Anything is possible, but you'd likely need to invent/create a circuit to talk between the two - I can't imagine a quick adapter would work.
IBM never sold a cassette deck, but it's a standard connector so many aftermarket units will work fine - it's primary use is in ROM BASIC, although it was possible to write software in DOS to use it (although it's rarely seen).

SomeGuy
June 25th, 2017, 04:32 AM
HP150's don't have a seperate screen. They are sort of an all-in-one unit like the Mac, except the floppy/hard drives are external. You will usually see them sitting on top of a box that look like a CPU unit, but that is just the floppy/hard drive box.

No idea really, but those probably would not have an external video connector. And whatever logic drives the touch screen is probably built on to the motherboard.

If you have an HP150, then sell it and get an IBM PC compatible Hercules/MDA monitor instead. :)

krebizfan
June 25th, 2017, 10:27 AM
There were period touchscreens similar to the HP-150's design available for IBM PC compatibles. Didn't work very well.

IBM advertised a cassette deck for use with the JX. Just a normal cassette player in black with a subdued IBM logo. It is possible that a few units existed in Japan.

SpidersWeb
June 25th, 2017, 11:24 AM
IBM advertised a cassette deck for use with the JX. Just a normal cassette player in black with a subdued IBM logo. It is possible that a few units existed in Japan.

They were actually also sold in Australia and New Zealand too. All 220V, black, and no Kanji support.
Out of curiosity I went to check the documents I have (at least for ordering a JX in NZ), and the only option I can see (which the owner ordered) was "6454422 JX Misc. Cassette Tape Cable $NZ12"
So either not available here or that supplier didn't stock them :(