PDA

View Full Version : Live video (VGA or component) to HDMI converter suggestions needed

ardent-blue
June 24th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Well, progress is being made on the Micro Channel front. Chulofiasco got an ActionMedia 2 adapter to take composite video from his iPhone and audio from a PTZ mike, and output that over a monitor and speakers.

There are three IBM video adapters that output live video, The AM2, M-MVA, and VCA.

ActionMedia 2 outputs in S-VHS (S-VHS port) or VGA (HDD15).
M-Motion Video Adapter outputs VGA (HDD15) (plus 2 ch stereo line outputs!)
Video Capture Adapter outputs S-VHS (S-VHS port) or RGB with RCA jacks. (video only, but 640x480x65k)

The issue is that the saved video from one or all of the adapters is in a "mature" (read obscure) format... But thanks to the power of coffee... what about using a component to HDMI converter to capture the live video output? Don't use the recording function of the software as the primary recording source...

It might seem extreme to some of you, but until IBM reveals the uCode for the encoding, we are stuck with AVS, Indeo, or MOV, at the best.

What is a decent Component + audio to HDMI converter?

Trixter
June 24th, 2017, 11:01 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Portta-YPbPr-Component-Converter-support/dp/B003VJ9RP6 is one such converter, but I've never tested it. But the price is such that you could see if it works, then move to better converters if you need more control.

Can you make some saved video examples available? Just because nothing can read them today doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I can transfer them to some FFMPEG people who might be willing to take a look at the formats.

chulofiasco
June 24th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Hey hey... I've been ActionMedia-ing about... ardent-blue was so very nice and kind to contribute a camera for the video source, outputs in composite and s video, and i used my iPhone for the audio.

The ActionMedia mixes the video from the capture card with the base system video. There's an overlay cable. It's also an AVE card, so you can use a digital key, but it might be limited to 256 colors.

I don't know if the S video output is a combined output (as with the overlay cable) or if its only the import stream. I'd put money it's only the data coming in through the capture card. I haven't used the adapter as only an accelerator, so I don't have all the bits, that's all speculation.

I'll send some examples, I've been recording the office. LOL