PDA

View Full Version : My new IBM PC 5155

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 08:08 AM
Hello, i just received and completely cleaned my new piece of collection, IBM 5155. Enjoy my pictures :)

39442 39443 39444 39445 39446 39447

lyonadmiral
July 2nd, 2017, 08:11 AM
That is clean... where'd you find that handsome beast?

roberttx
July 2nd, 2017, 09:00 AM
That really is pristine! Nice one!

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 09:25 AM
That is clean... where'd you find that handsome beast?

Thanks, cleaning process was little bit difficult due to many creases on the front panel, but i made it ;) And i find it on ebay.

ibmapc
July 2nd, 2017, 10:19 AM
I noticed in one of your pics that the little plastic piece that holds the CGA card in place is there. I find that piece is often missing. In fact, it is absent in all three of my 5155's. One thing I don't see is the perforated RF shield. Do you have it? If you do, it looks like you have a nearly perfect example of the 5155. How about the Blue Carrying Bag?

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 10:41 AM
Yes i have that shield, it was removed for making pictures, but i dont have Blue Carrying Bag :)

ibmapc
July 2nd, 2017, 10:46 AM
Yes i have that shield, it was removed for making pictures, but i dont have Blue Carrying Bag :)

I do have the Blue Bag that came with my original 5155 bought new by my father in 1986. But unfortunately, in my youth, I misplaced that little plastic piece. So I'm still trying to come up with a "perfect" example. Maybe I need to buy a fourth unit?

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 10:51 AM
Its so immportant for you ? IMHO working machine is most important thing, everything else are just details ;)

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 10:55 AM
OT: have someone time driver to this memory/RTC card included in my 5155?

ibmapc
July 2nd, 2017, 11:20 AM
OT: have someone time driver to this memory/RTC card included in my 5155?

Have a look at THESE (http://minuszerodegrees.net/rtc.htm) from Minuzerodegrees.net (Modem7's Site). Most likely one of those will work.

Its so immportant for you ? IMHO working machine is most important thing, everything else are just details ;)

I have several "Working Units". I guess I'm still disappointed in myself for loosing one little part that would have kept it perfect.

In fact, I only buy non working units from eBay because all others are to expensive. They are usually pretty easy to get going.

lyonadmiral
July 2nd, 2017, 12:02 PM
I noticed in one of your pics that the little plastic piece that holds the CGA card in place is there. I find that piece is often missing. In fact, it is absent in all three of my 5155's. 39453

Would a card edge holder from a PC/XT or even an AT not work in the 5155?

Chuck(G)
July 2nd, 2017, 12:17 PM
Is the card edge holder (white nylon piece) or the clear retainer on top of the cards?

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 12:42 PM
Is the card edge holder (white nylon piece) or the clear retainer on top of the cards?

i supposed that talk is about that clear retainer on top of the cards, its pretty useless in my opinion ;)

Roland Huisman
July 2nd, 2017, 01:00 PM
So now you can go on the Internet! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvFKDHh4WM) :-)

Nice machine, now you have to change your signature ;)

ibmapc
July 2nd, 2017, 02:22 PM
Would a card edge holder from a PC/XT or even an AT not work in the 5155?

Nope. It's unique to the 5155. It's the clear plastic thing in the red oval in this picture.

ibmapc
July 2nd, 2017, 02:34 PM
...its pretty useless in my opinion ;)

Not really. The full length and especially nearly full length cards can move around and this machine was meant to be "Portable". Right? Who wants to arrive at the hotel with their trusty 5155 only to discover that it won't display video because the cga card is no longer seated. I guess I probably thought it was useless when I left it out. And so did those that used to own the other two 5155s that I now have. Now I wish I had kept it.

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 07:42 PM
Not really. The full length and especially nearly full length cards can move around and this machine was meant to be "Portable". Right? Who wants to arrive at the hotel with their trusty 5155 only to discover that it won't display video because the cga card is no longer seated. I guess I probably thought it was useless when I left it out. And so did those that used to own the other two 5155s that I now have. Now I wish I had kept it.

Imho CGA is safe, because it is stabile on both sides and cant move. Maybe second full lenght card may have problems...

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 08:09 PM
Interesting finding, Composite IBM CGA have more graphics modes or states.

First is default color mode, text is ugly and bad readable

But when i run some graphical software, it switch to very fine and readable mode.

Beware, its not B&W mode, B&W mode is this

So where is the trick?
I finded some simple cga emulator software (e2.exe), which can switch from ugly-color mode to fine-color mode, but when i run some graphical software, it switch back to ugly-color mode.

zombienerd
July 2nd, 2017, 08:20 PM
The 8-bit-guy did a nice video on CGA graphics that went into detail on the nice features of the composite output vs RGBi output. Worth the watch, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc

vwestlife
July 2nd, 2017, 08:42 PM
So where is the trick?

Type MODE BW80 at the DOS prompt. :)

The ugliness in color mode (CO80) is the color burst signal interfering with the display. BW80 switches into black & white mode which disables the color burst, and most -- but not all -- DOS programs abide by that setting.

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 08:50 PM
The 8-bit-guy did a nice video on CGA graphics that went into detail on the nice features of the composite output vs RGBi output. Worth the watch, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc

Yes i know this video, but it not solve my switching mode problems. IBM 5155 have only composite monitor so comparasing to RGB mode is not important here

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 08:55 PM
Type MODE BW80 at the DOS prompt. :)

The ugliness in color mode (CO80) is the color burst signal interfering with the display. BW80 switches into black & white mode which disables the color burst, and most -- but not all -- DOS programs abide by that setting.

Thanks! This work fine.

ibmapc
July 2nd, 2017, 09:01 PM
Have you found a driver for your RTC yet? Did you check out Minuszerodgrees.net linked in my post #10?

romanon
July 2nd, 2017, 11:59 PM
Have you found a driver for your RTC yet? Did you check out Minuszerodgrees.net linked in my post #10?

i tried several, but neither one did not work

MindThreat
July 3rd, 2017, 04:47 AM
Looks great, nice pickup! =D

romanon
July 3rd, 2017, 07:22 AM
In your opinion, its my 5155 fan too loud? As for me, i guess that yes. I consider its change for something less used and loud..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfkCTaKXyjE&feature=youtu.be

Malc
July 3rd, 2017, 09:50 AM
If it were mine, I would change it, But that's me, Noisy fans drive me nuts, Depends if you're happy with it, If not swap it out for a new one.

ibmapc
July 3rd, 2017, 06:52 PM
I don't think it was much quieter when new. I know mine has been sounding like that since 1986. Then again, my hearing ain't so good anymore.

Casey
July 3rd, 2017, 08:02 PM
Other two 5155s!!? Must be nice.

I used to have a clean example myself, back when you could get working hardware on eBay for less than $500. Oddly enough someone had installed a baby AT 286 board in my system and didn't mention it during the auction. Maybe they thought the price would go down?

I was in the process of replacing that with a spare XT motherboard, as well as two working floppies, when I had my stroke last year. Alas, my mid-twenties friends who cleaned up decided it wasn't working, since it was partially disassembled, so in the dumpster it went. Sigh. For some goofy reason they didn't throw away the keyboard, although they did pitch my spare XT model F keyboard. They still think I'm some kind of pack-rat. :-/

Oh, well, at least I still have my Zenith 160, with a massive 320k ram onboard... Heh.

P.S. Don't want to sound too jealous. Nice pickup, romanon!

romanon
July 3rd, 2017, 08:33 PM
I don't think it was much quieter when new. I now mine has been sounding like that since 1986. Then again, my hearing ain't so good anymore.

I ordered brand new one, it worth $19 so i will see difference..

GiGaBiTe
July 4th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Something isn't quite right with the CRT, it looks like the deflection coil is rotated slightly counter-clockwise resulting in a tilted picture on the tube.

It could have been bumped loose in transport, or be an original defect.

romanon
July 4th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Something isn't quite right with the CRT, it looks like the deflection coil is rotated slightly counter-clockwise resulting in a tilted picture on the tube.

It could have been bumped loose in transport, or be an original defect.

I think that its pretty normal on 30+ yeras old machines or not?

romanon
July 4th, 2017, 08:41 PM
I have here some timeline irregularities.
On this label there is a date of final testing on 3/7/1984

On the monitor there is date code 09/19/84 (or 09/1984? i dont know) So final test was finished 2 months before adding monitor? That is little bit strange i guess :)

Trixter
July 5th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Yes i know this video, but it not solve my switching mode problems. IBM 5155 have only composite monitor so comparasing to RGB mode is not important here

The internal monitor is a TTL monitor, not composite. (The 5155 CGA card has a composite out jack that is true composite and acts like one, so you can get the "extra" colors via that jack.)

First is default color mode, text is ugly and bad readable

But when i run some graphical software, it switch to very fine and readable mode.

What graphical software? Did it go into 640x200 black&white mode?

You might want to try running the CGA Compatibility Tester (http://www.oldskool.org/pc/cgacomp) with the "color register" tests in one of the menus. It's possible setting the text border to a color other than 0 caused the change you saw, and that test will rotate through all the border colors while a text screen is displayed, which could show you if that's what is causing the fix. Color burst has nothing to do with it because the internal monitor is driven through the RGB TTL interface. Otherwise, it might be enabling/disabling the color burst that is causing the change.

I haven't built any special support into the CGA Compatibility Tester for systems with "monochrome cga" screens, but it's been on my to-do list for a while; I own many systems that qualify (most luggables, AT&T 6300, Leading Edge, laptops, etc.) so if there is a demand for something specific I can look into adding it.

vwestlife
July 5th, 2017, 09:48 AM
The internal monitor is a TTL monitor, not composite.

Aren't you thinking of the Compaq Portable? The 5155's internal monitor is composite. It's effectively a tunerless black & white TV with an amber picture tube. In fact, it connects to the CGA card via the pin header originally meant to be used with an RF modulator.

romanon
July 5th, 2017, 11:07 AM
The internal monitor is a TTL monitor, not composite.

As Vwestlife wrote, its not, maybe you think Compaq Portable. You cant connect TTL monitor via two signal cabels

What graphical software? Did it go into 640x200 black&white mode?

Its not 640x200 mode its 80x25 B&W and color mode, it was solved by MODE command with bw80 or co80 parameter.

Trixter
July 5th, 2017, 03:14 PM
I am indeed mistaken, thanks for the correction guys.

bettablue
July 6th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Beautiful PC. Nice find. It looks exactly like mine.

Krille
July 9th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I have here some timeline irregularities.

I guess it's week 9, year 1984 which would be the first week of March which matches the final testing date of March 7, 1984.

romanon
July 11th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Ehm, do you want some hard drive in your IBM 5155? You dont have ani "hardcard" or "hardfile" hard drive to use it and you dont want to pull out one floppy drive? Watch this and lern (or cry) :)

39686 39687 39688

It works fine, also i can regulary close the top sheet cage....One problem is that you need to pull out some cards to make enough place for hard drive, in my case it was serial, parallel and modem card.

XDUR
July 18th, 2017, 02:44 AM
Wow, nice condition. I hope the eBay price was OK. What did you clean it with? I really have problems cleaning mine.

romanon
July 21st, 2017, 11:45 PM
Thanks, ebay price was not very OK, it was acceptable...I am using old tooth brush and detergent "Cif"