PDA

View Full Version : I finally found a replacement 5145!

lutiana
July 5th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Thank's to EJS I found a guy on reddit who had the monitor and had no idea what to do with it. So I offered to buy it and he sold it to me. It's in it's original packaging and with the exception of the missing adjustment piece it is near new condition. I am kicking myself for recycling the dead one mere days before finding this one as I could have just taken the missing piece from. Though I am confident that I could fashion a replacement at some point, perhaps via a 3d print.

For those of you who don't remember, this is the monitor that my cats managed to destroy in January (original post here (http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?55488-Damn-cats-and-how-I-need-an-IBM-5145-now)).

I have not had a chance to test is fully but it does power on and show a complete white screen, so the tube looks to be good.

Here are some pictures:

All fired up.

Then the same furry bastard who broke the first one started an obvious plot to break this one.

That's him scoping out the box and the packaging. Not this time fluffy, this time it's staying in the box and being placed as low to the ground as possible till I can get it moved to storage this weekend.

I am gonna need to get a six pack for EJS when I run into him at VFC West in August.

ejs
July 5th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Wow, that monitor really is in mint condition! Glad everything worked out for you.

Keep an eye on those cats--they're up to no good.

lutiana
July 5th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Keep an eye on those cats--they're up to no good.

First rule of cat ownership, they're always up to no good...

roberttx
July 6th, 2017, 04:42 AM
First rule of cat ownership, they're always up to no good...

But the zeroth rule is that cats can do no wrong.

lutiana
July 6th, 2017, 06:47 AM
But the zeroth rule is that cats can do no wrong.

Hmm, where do you get your cats from?

zombienerd
July 6th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Always loved that model, looks great!

bettablue
July 6th, 2017, 11:30 PM
I'm curious... What model of PC is the monitor for.

Great fin d though, and I agree... Put the monitor somewhere the cats can't damage it. Sadly, I had an IBM 5154 I had planned to use with my IBM 5150 with 5161 expansion unit. One of my cats knocked the monitor off my workbench. The monitor's case waS PRETTY MUCH DESTROYED. I ended up using abn IBM 5153 CGA graphics adapter and monitor.

Hope everything works out for you.

Cheeers

Thomas

mR_Slug
July 7th, 2017, 02:14 PM
That cat's already performed and entropy experiment and now looks very eager to be put in a quantum superposition. Perhaps hes trying to tell you something?

roberttx
July 7th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Hmm, where do you get your cats from?

Mostly, they find us. Our oldest came from a shelter, but the rest were all ferals that decided that they liked me, for some reason.

lutiana
July 7th, 2017, 10:45 PM
I'm curious... What model of PC is the monitor for.

IBM 5140, the Convertible PC.

trmg
July 9th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Nice!