PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5154 EGA monitor made in 1992??

romanon
July 8th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Is this even posieble? I thought that IBM PC era ends in 1987-1988, but its almost unbelievable that this monitor (not mine) was manufactured in 1992, when VGA was pretty long standard.

krebizfan
July 8th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Wouldn't surprise me too much. IBM often kept parts in production for 5 years after a product line was canceled. Big clients willing to pay for extended service contracts were IBM's favorite customers.

I believe IBM kept the 5170 in production for some time after the PS/2 was introduced. Not sure how long, IBM was reluctant to admit any customers were buying them.

KC9UDX
July 8th, 2017, 11:57 PM
Made in Finland, no less.

I'm not terribly surprised. Since they weren't actually making them in house, it's not a big deal to keep them in small-run production to keep someone who has a lot of them in use happy.

Malc
July 9th, 2017, 12:18 AM
Doesn't really surprise me either, My 5154002 was made in Finland dated 1987.

KC9UDX
July 9th, 2017, 07:52 AM
I'd sure like to see that place; probably a small shop where they rarely work as much as a 30 hour week, but everyone's making a good living.

Krille
July 9th, 2017, 01:57 PM
This is just me speculating after a bit of googling so this may be wrong, but it seems that the 5154 monitors were made by Salora* and/or Nokia - Salora apparently merged with Nokia at one point (Nokia's monitor division was later acquired by Viewsonic). Salora also made monitors for "several other computer companies" (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4cCqCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA222).

So I'm guessing they had full 40 hour weeks... :)

*We had a Salora TV that was made in -75 (IIRC) and aside from a single broken solder point, which even I could easily fix despite being useless at soldering, it still worked when we gave it away about 30 years later. I have fond memories of playing the NES for countless hours on that TV.