PDA

View Full Version : The Elusive Packard Bell Pack-Mate III

ScanDisk
July 20th, 2017, 11:51 PM
I was browsing ebay one day when I stumbled across an add for a Packard Bell Pack-Mate III, the listing also included Packard Bell keyboard and mouse (ps/2), which is good, because it has ps/2 for both keyboard and mouse, user manual, and IBM ps/2 8512 VGA Monitor, the seller then threw in IBM PC-DOS 3.3 with the original booklet/manual and hard cover. All for $110 USD.

Hardware Specs:

1MB RAM
286 @ 12Mhz (6mhz when Turbo is off, it is on by default, and uses a key combination [ctrl/alt/- or ctrl/alt/+] ).

1.2mb "5.25 Floppy Drive
1.44mb "3.5 Floppy Drive.
VGA card (therefore compatible with VGA/EGA/CGA/MONO).

Here is the former listing photo:

http://i.imgur.com/D81KDPr.jpg

I am running IBM PC-DOS 3.3 and Windows 286/2.11.

I've also installed games like Test Drive 2, Command Keen 1, and Tetris (the soviet version from spectrum holobyte [1987] ).

Whenever I google for information on this, I either find nothing, a video of some guy booting one of these, or ebay-linked websites with the very ad for this former listing (they really should remove this, it's already sold, :dead: ).

As I just said, my searches for more information seem to be turning up nothing of use. Does anyone have any information about this machine, or know better methods of finding such information?

It'd be greatly appreciated, because by the looks of it, this Pack-Mate III is elusive.

P.S: I apologise for the image being so large, I tried to resize it on imgur, but I couldn't.

bear
July 21st, 2017, 09:43 AM
Packard Bell was known for selling (what amounts to) the same machine under a dozen different names, and using the same name to refer to mostly-unrelated machines. Probably it's the same electronics as some other 12 MHz 286 Packard bell, such as the Legend. What kind of "information" are you hoping to find?

krebizfan
July 21st, 2017, 10:07 AM
The following website has motherboard jumper descriptions for 10 Packard Bell 286 desktops. If you know the BIOS maker and look inside to see how the RAM is fitted, you may be able to get a match to the one in your system. The 286x or 1000 seem likely candidates because they have PS/2 ports and a separate video card.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb1.htm

ScanDisk
July 21st, 2017, 11:44 AM
Packard Bell was known for selling (what amounts to) the same machine under a dozen different names, and using the same name to refer to mostly-unrelated machines. Probably it's the same electronics as some other 12 MHz 286 Packard bell, such as the Legend. What kind of "information" are you hoping to find?

Max RAM, Motherboard, etc.

ScanDisk
July 21st, 2017, 11:45 AM
The following website has motherboard jumper descriptions for 10 Packard Bell 286 desktops. If you know the BIOS maker and look inside to see how the RAM is fitted, you may be able to get a match to the one in your system. The 286x or 1000 seem likely candidates because they have PS/2 ports and a separate video card.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb1.htm

yes 286x seems to be it, thanks sir!

dlightman
July 21st, 2017, 01:56 PM
My Dad bought us a nearly identical machine from Sears in the early 90's. The only differences being it had a turbo button in the empty space next to the reset and was called a Legend III, IIII or IV. It came with DOS 4.01/Win 3, 4 x 256k 30 pin simms, 40M Western Digital HD, 2400 baud modem and same keyboard / mouse. I still have the users manual and it's identical to the one you have. My mom even kept the box and uses it to store Christmas ornaments :)

You're lucky to have found one I've been looking for a long time without any luck!

ScanDisk
July 21st, 2017, 09:23 PM
My Dad bought us a nearly identical machine from Sears in the early 90's. The only differences being it had a turbo button in the empty space next to the reset and was called a Legend III, IIII or IV. It came with DOS 4.01/Win 3, 4 x 256k 30 pin simms, 40M Western Digital HD, 2400 baud modem and same keyboard / mouse. I still have the users manual and it's identical to the one you have. My mom even kept the box and uses it to store Christmas ornaments :)

You're lucky to have found one I've been looking for a long time without any luck!

I hope that you will find something soon.

lutiana
July 26th, 2017, 02:48 PM

I have the case, but I tossed the motherboard since it was very badly corroded. The case is in really good condition, though dirty and it has the PSU as well as the ISA riser board. If you are interested let me know. Perhaps it'll be easier to find just the motherboard on ebay or somewhere else.

See my post here for some pictures: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?57747-FS-Packard-Bell-Packmate-III&highlight=packard+bell

EDIT: I just found the exact same motherboard that was corroded in this case on ebay for a decent price ($65) so I bought it. Once it gets here I'll test it and clean the case a bit and then if you (or anyone) is interested in it then let me know.