PDA

View Full Version : Osborne Variant 1

SunDown79
July 21st, 2017, 02:18 AM
I already posted about the key for my Osborne Variant 1 but I am surprised that there is very little to no information to be found on the internet about this machine so I thought I'd start a thread here to perhaps collect some information from everyone.

Sooo, anyone have any information or links to information about the Osborne Variant 1 ?

curtis
July 21st, 2017, 05:11 AM
What are you calling the variant 1?

ppcmini
July 21st, 2017, 07:29 AM
Do you have pictures?

Chuck(G)
July 21st, 2017, 07:41 AM
It isn't a luggable machine:

[Image Removed by Owner Request]

If you were in the US, a keyswitch would be easy to find. I don't know how far you're willing to go, however.

SunDown79
July 21st, 2017, 08:07 AM
What are you calling the variant 1?

Well the system that reads "Variant 1" ;)
As pictured by Chuck :)

And I can find them here too the keyswitches but at ridiculous prices (70+ euro's for one switch....) but I did spot some on ebay so might go for that, just have to make sure they will fit the same hole. Ow brand is Rafi for anyone interested.

Chuck(G)
July 21st, 2017, 08:48 AM
I searched on "DPST keyswitch". One turns up at RS in the UK: here (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/key-switches/7118344/) at a not-too-high price.

SunDown79
July 21st, 2017, 09:24 AM
Saw those yes but, and its probably me, I want it to look as much as the original and they should be more like this (the front that is) :
http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/703780/RAFI-1151085720100-Sleutelschakelaar-250-VAC-4-A-2x-uitaan-1-x-90-IP40-2-stuks/0216720

Just wondering, right now it switches two poles, so positive and negative (eventhough its AC but no better way to explain), would it be bad if I would just switch one of the two and just connect the other one ? Because 1-way is a lot easier to be had then 2-way.

Chuck(G)
July 21st, 2017, 10:16 AM
That depends upon your local electrical codes. If one of the two AC lines is known to be at ground potential (earthed), then usual practice is to switch the "hot" side only--after all, if there's a fuse, it protects the "hot" side only. Fortunately, most business equipment takes 3-prong plugs and receptacles, so, at least in theory, the neutral and hot sides of the line are known and it's safe to switch just the hot side.

Of course, there's always the possibility of a receptacle wiring error (I was surprised when I tested all of the outlets in my home to see how many were wired "backwards").

curtis
July 22nd, 2017, 05:38 AM
Interesting. I thought I knew about all the Osbornes made, or even proto'd. Guess I"ll have to add that to my memory store.

Thanks for helping me learn something today!

ppcmini
July 23rd, 2017, 04:32 PM
Here is a youtube video of it.

https://youtu.be/FsgqpvpGpBs

JonB
July 23rd, 2017, 11:13 PM
That is the most annoying piece of filming I have seen in a while. Mr Blurrycam! :)

Osborne-geek
August 26th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Hi SunDown79,

What information do you want?
And how did you get your Osborne Variant 1?
They were only sold in The Netherlands.

SunDown79
August 26th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Ah look, that as such is interesting information already as I didn't know they were Dutch only.
I am from the Netherlands and hence it wasn't too hard to find one :)

Osborne-geek
August 26th, 2017, 10:12 AM
When the Osborne 1 was released, it was a huge success.
A dutch company imported Osborne 1's and converted them into desktop computers
and naming them Osborne Variant 1.
It also has the double-density upgrade and the Screen-Pac build-in.

Maybe good to know that Adam Osborne wrote a book about the rise and fall of OCC, titled "Hypergrowth".