PDA

View Full Version : Another hill to die on (FDDI to Fast Ethernet on 3com 2500)

ardent-blue
July 22nd, 2017, 06:26 AM
Folks, I am working up to ramming speed on another 3com piece of equipment, a 3com CoreBuilder / LANplex 2500. The 3500 attempt failed, while I was able to bring up the browser based Manage utility, I had (intercranial) issues with the configuration. Plus the 3500 is a brick, even with one PSU.

So, lets set the stage. Microchannel server. There is NO Fast Ethernet adapter that works on a PS/2. The 9K/9Q is AIX only. The Olicom OC2335 is badly designed, about 20Mbit/s. So, we have FDDI (mostly MMF with a few CDDI) and ATM (100 and 155). FDDI is well supported by most OSs we can play with, but the ATM does AIX, OS2, and Netware. Bummer, since many of the period switches used an ATM backbone...

So... throwing caution to the winds, can I use JUST the high speed modules and hook a FDDI-SAS adapter to one FDDI port (or CDDI / TP-DDI), then out the single port 100baseTX module, then to my Buffalo router?

FDDI Modules
• FDDI Module (1 port, DAS Multimode fiber MIC) 3C200100
• TP-DDI Module (1 port, DAS RJ-45) 3C200300
Fast Ethernet Modules
• Fast Ethernet Module (1 port, 100BASE-TX, RJ-45) 3C200500

mR_Slug
July 23rd, 2017, 06:14 AM
I don't know what the rules for bridging are on the LANplex 2500. However on the FDDI side You should be able to connect a SAS device to either the A or B ports on the LANplex 2500. I've put a mirror of the FDDI FAQ up because I couldn't find it when I searched for it today.

See here: http://108.59.254.117/~mR_Slug/FDDI/FDDIFAQ.shtml#q51

It does mention something about station management needing to be notified. However this may just be because it's not a dual-ring.

ardent-blue
July 23rd, 2017, 10:20 AM
I don't know what the rules for bridging are on the LANplex 2500. However on the FDDI side You should be able to connect a SAS device to either the A or B ports on the LANplex 2500. I've put a mirror of the FDDI FAQ up because I couldn't find it when I searched for it today.

See here: http://108.59.254.117/~mR_Slug/FDDI/FDDIFAQ.shtml#q51

It does mention something about station management needing to be notified. However this may just be because it's not a dual-ring.

I'll surf on that.

While checking out a McGraw-Hill book on Cisco, there was a small two sentence reminder that you need to add a FDDI port to an Ethernet VLAN if you want to bridge the two.

Sort of a little, quiet "Oh, Bother" moment. I had the FE VLAN and the FDDI VLAN seperate...