PDA

View Full Version : Leading Edge DC-2014 Keyboard

Smack2k
July 24th, 2017, 11:22 AM
I want to clean my DC-2014 keyboard before possibly selling it along with my Model D DC-2011 Computer and DR-1240 Monitor.

What is the process to remove the keys and take the keyboard apart to clean it? I want to get photos of the blue alps switches as well for selling purposes.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Trixter
July 24th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I don't know the correct method of opening a DC-2014, but you certainly don't need pictures of the blue Alps switches for selling purposes because most people who buy the DC-2014 these days already know what's inside and just want to harvest the switches out of it. If you really want to take pictures of the switches, the keycaps are removable without having to disassemble the entire thing.

I'm hoping you're selling all three pieces as a single lot, because it looks great with all stock pieces, and might dissuade "keyboard collectors" from breaking up the set.

I might be bitter; I had a Leading Edge Model D system unit and monitor for years without a keyboard because of keyboard collectors. I had to resort to buying an entire lot (much like what you're selling) to get the DC-2014 to complete my set.

glitch
July 24th, 2017, 01:54 PM
I didn't realize the keyboards were going so high until recently. They're a very nice keyboard, but a Model D just doesn't look right without the DC-2014 keyboard in front of it!

I really hope they're not just stripping keyswitches to use, hopefully they're at least *using* the keyboard with a converter or something.

Smack2k
July 24th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info, I dont want to risk breaking a key, so I think I will leave it alone. I know it all works as I had it running again last night...

There's a Hard Card in it as well, but I dont know the maker of it. The board that the drive is attached to has a label that says OMIT 5510 and the Drivers Disk I have says Express Systems Hard Disk Software, but I cant find much on either...

I have two different Operations Manuals and 2 Sets of Diag Disk / DOS Disk (one is 2.11 and one is 3.1 for DOS).

glitch
July 24th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Any chance you can make images of the DOS 3.1 disks before you sell? If not, can you make copies? I'll pay for you to mail them to me, so I can make images available.

roberttx
July 24th, 2017, 02:14 PM
I don't know the correct method of opening a DC-2014, but you certainly don't need pictures of the blue Alps switches for selling purposes because most people who buy the DC-2014 these days already know what's inside and just want to harvest the switches out of it.

One of these days, somebody is going to have to explain to me what all the fascination is with different colors of Alps switches.

Smack2k
July 24th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Any chance you can make images of the DOS 3.1 disks before you sell? If not, can you make copies? I'll pay for you to mail them to me, so I can make images available.

Sure, I can.....what is a good disk image writer for DOS 6.22 or Win 3.11 For Workgroups? I can make the image from there.

Caluser2000
July 24th, 2017, 04:32 PM
DISKCOPY--> http://www.freewarereview.info/2006-03/diskcopyexe_-_floppy_disk_imaging_and_virtualization_part_i.htm l

As simple as “diskcopy a: filename.img”

glitch
July 24th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Yeah, that'll work fine. I use `dd` under Linux, or ImageDisk under DOS most of the time (it does non-DOS formats). DISKCOPY will be fine for these, though!

Smack2k
July 24th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Do you want the diag disk to from that set that came with the 3.1?

I also have a disk with PC DOS 1.10 on it. Not sure if working or not, but didn't know if image was needed for that?

glitch
July 25th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Do you want the diag disk to from that set that came with the 3.1?

I also have a disk with PC DOS 1.10 on it. Not sure if working or not, but didn't know if image was needed for that?

I'd like the diag disk too.

Pretty sure PC-DOS 1.10 is available, though you might make an image to keep for yourself.

Trixter
July 25th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I didn't realize the keyboards were going so high until recently. They're a very nice keyboard, but a Model D just doesn't look right without the DC-2014 keyboard in front of it!

Amen, brother.

I really hope they're not just stripping keyswitches to use, hopefully they're at least *using* the keyboard with a converter or something.

Keyboard collectors split approximately 20% harvest the switches, 20% use with an adapter, and 60% display on a shelf or keep in a collection, unused.

There's a Hard Card in it as well, but I dont know the maker of it. The board that the drive is attached to has a label that says OMIT 5510 and the Drivers Disk I have says Express Systems Hard Disk Software, but I cant find much on either...

Sounds very generic. There were a lot of smaller-MFM-drive-on-a-card units in the 1980s from various manufacturers.

I have two different Operations Manuals and 2 Sets of Diag Disk / DOS Disk (one is 2.11 and one is 3.1 for DOS).

I would very much like images of both diag disks, since I need to make repairs to mine and it would be great to verify. I can put them in my ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers mirror for posterity.

One of these days, somebody is going to have to explain to me what all the fascination is with different colors of Alps switches.

Different colors have different audible and tactile feedback. The color is just the way to identify which ones you have.

I will say this: A DC-2014 is indeed very nice to type on. I'm a Model F/M buckling spring person myself, but if I couldn't use those any more, the DC-2014 would be a very close second.

Chuck(G)
July 25th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Back in the days of the Model D, I had a Chicony 5160 keyboard. Blue Alps switches. Very noisy and not that pleasant to type on--my fingers would get tired.

glitch
July 25th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I will say this: A DC-2014 is indeed very nice to type on. I'm a Model F/M buckling spring person myself, but if I couldn't use those any more, the DC-2014 would be a very close second.

Same here, Model M on the desk currently.

Chuck(G)
July 25th, 2017, 10:56 AM
(A bit off-topic)

I had a bit of fun with one of the "Vindows Security" scam callers. He kept asking me to find the "Windows" key on my model M. He consulted with his supervisors, who insisted that I must have a Windows key on my keyboard. I flipped the keyboard over and read off the label (Date: 01SEP89 and "Made in the USA"). He then changed his tack to "What version of Windows are you running?". "Windows?" says I--"I'm running Ubuntu 16.10. You didn't say anything about Windows.". Muttered curse and a hangup with me laughing.

These scams can be fun if you've got the time to play with them like a cat plays with a mouse...