PDA

View Full Version : Microchannel SoundBlaster

eeguru
August 5th, 2017, 12:06 AM
... or other main stream audio card. How rare are these? What are the odd's I'll ever get to listen to anything other than internal speaker with 90% of MS-DOS based games on a MCA machine?

Xacalite
August 5th, 2017, 02:24 AM
Rare indeed.
MCA machines weren't for gamers.
If you can't live with just PC Speaker, you better get an LPT DAC.

1ST1
August 5th, 2017, 03:24 AM
They already were rare and expensive in good old time... Better use a machine with ISA/EISA/VLB/PCI for gaming with soundcard...

mR_Slug
August 5th, 2017, 06:13 AM
I saw one go on eBay for like $400 (maybe 400) within the last year. I would like to get one, but not at that price. There is also the IBM sound card. It's not as good as the sound blaster but is comparatively obtainable.

pietja
August 5th, 2017, 08:04 AM
I have seen a Sound Piper 16 on eBay in the past and they have a real OPL3 chip ;) the 32 variant has it build into the main chip.
Set an ebay search for all the sound cards you can think of and you will get an email when there is a new listing.

allCAPPS
August 23rd, 2017, 03:10 PM
Sound Blaster and compatible MCA cards are quite rare and even more expensive. Another SB-compatible option is the ChipChat. Back in 2010 I got in contact with the guy supposedly still selling them. (The website it still up.) We exchanged emails a few times. I was ready to pay him anything he wanted, but at some point he just stopped replying. If you're able to get a ChipChat out of him, let me know!

I also have an IBM ACPA sound card. It's not SB-compatible though, so it's mostly limited to playing sound effects in Windows or OS/2 and maybe some multimedia programs.

As Xacalite said, Micro Channel machines weren't made with gaming in mind. I've amassed a small PS/2 collection and gave up on using them for games some time ago and instead built a generic 486 with good ol' ISA slots. Made life much easier!

chulofiasco
August 24th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Sound Blaster and compatible MCA cards are quite rare and even more expensive. Another SB-compatible option is the ChipChat. Back in 2010 I got in contact with the guy supposedly still selling them. (The website it still up.) We exchanged emails a few times. I was ready to pay him anything he wanted, but at some point he just stopped replying. If you're able to get a ChipChat out of him, let me know!

I also have an IBM ACPA sound card. It's not SB-compatible though, so it's mostly limited to playing sound effects in Windows or OS/2 and maybe some multimedia programs.

As Xacalite said, Micro Channel machines weren't made with gaming in mind. I've amassed a small PS/2 collection and gave up on using them for games some time ago and instead built a generic 486 with good ol' ISA slots. Made life much easier!

i had the exact same experience !!

PeterNC
August 24th, 2017, 10:17 AM
I found a CT5320 and CT5330 on Craigslist in SC in 2015. I traveled there for work and drove 90 minutes each way to buy the two PS/2s they were in. That is your best shot. Finding IBM PS/2s (from schools) that had them in them.

A boxed version is harder to find. They surface once every couple of years.

Eyeballing PS2/s on eBay could work. I remember on CT5320 in a PS/2 that was sold on eBay in 2015 without it having been explicitly described.

pkhoury
August 27th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's been on the hunt for an MCA sound card.
What OSes is the LPT option compatible with?

luckybob
August 27th, 2017, 01:42 PM
As a proud owner of one, I know I will never let it go for anything less than a king's ransom.

I wonder how hard it would be to take a common isa sb16 card, salvage some parts and make a new mca card. Honestly it's close to that point for us MCA lovers.

PeterNC
August 28th, 2017, 11:30 AM
IBM PS/2 Model 57 and 77 had them installed factory shipped at one point. So focusing on those two models may help (or not). A Roland MIF-IMC is another option. But those have gone near extinct as well. Pretty common for a few years on eBay.

vwestlife
August 28th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Here's an alternative which plugs into the parallel port and has Sound Blaster and Adlib compatibility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7VxWbCgWHk

vwestlife
August 28th, 2017, 07:01 PM
IBM PS/2 Model 57 and 77 had them installed factory shipped at one point.
"Them" being IBM's Ultimedia system based on their own MCA sound cards, which are not Sound Blaster/Adlib compatible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIF6XLQqKE4

SGTSQUID
August 28th, 2017, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=vwestlife;474455]Here's an alternative which plugs into the parallel port and has Sound Blaster and Adlib compatibility:

I bought that thing back in '94 for my Compaq laptop. I think I got it at the Kowloon market in Hong Kong on my first Navy deployment. I remember it being a PITA to use and not very good sound quality.

PeterNC
August 29th, 2017, 03:56 AM
Good luck finding one of those! :)

The 57s/77s I have seen (and bought) had SCSI CD-ROM plus CT5320 (57) or CT5330 (77) installed for multimedia.

Xacalite
August 29th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Here's an alternative which plugs into the parallel port and has Sound Blaster and Adlib compatibility:
"Supports EMM386, 386MAX and QEMM386. Currently no support for DOS Extenders"
Oh well, still better than Covox...