PDA

View Full Version : So, I got a Data General One!

MrArgent
August 5th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Snagged the system, a printer, the original system disks plus tutorial disks, a 3.10 diskette and a blank, a carrying case, the manuals and both system/printer PSUs. It's a 208k model, meaning the RAM's been expanded. $90!

The seller claimed it was a 2T pre-production model used internally at Micropro - i don't doubt the Micropro part and the guy selling seems to be entirely who he claims to be, but is there any way i can verify this machine's pedigree? For all intents and purposes it seems to be a stock DG One. It has a model no. of 2207 and a serial no. of q0031232. It uses a DG1 screen and lacks the handle the 2T apparantly has...speaking of which, is the screen supposed to be almost unreadable? It seems like if there's a backlight on this thing it's dead, but at the same time i'm seeing reports that the screen was just that bad. Also, is there any directions on replacing the CMOS cell anywhere? Thje manuals

homeline
August 5th, 2017, 08:18 PM
I gave my DG away about a year ago. It had the EL display. Nice display for the era. The HD in mine would not spin up when powered, until i gave it a whack. Never could fix, even after taking apart and oiling bearing. Very involved to get to the inards. IFRC, you need a hex socket.

I dont recall these having a CMOS batt, but perhaps they do. Not sure the LCD displays were backlit. I remember seeing one and thought it was difficult to see in the best conditions.

Chuck(G)
August 5th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Nope--one the original DG Ones, the LCD screen was pretty much unreadable, no backlight. I remember being shown one by a salesman who kept pointing out things on the display that I couldn't read.

Eventually DG came out with the EL display, but it was a power hog.

MrArgent
August 5th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Oof! It makes my Amstrad PPC640's screen seem perfectly legible in comparison... Makes me miss my Zenith Supersport's crisp but very blue screen.

homeline
August 6th, 2017, 02:47 PM
I dont recall these having a CMOS batt, but perhaps they do.

My re-memory kicked in after looking at a pic of a 2T model that recently ended on eBay. It does have CMOS batt cover on bottom of unit. Would surely think the 1st gen model had one too.

MrArgent
August 6th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Yeah, it's giving me a Error 11 on boot, indicating a battery failure.

I wonder how plausible modding in backlighting to improve readability would be?

zombienerd
August 6th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Makes me miss my Zenith Supersport's crisp but very blue screen.

I love the blue LCD on my Zenith 181. It's quite nice!

Chuck(G)
August 6th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Side-lighting perhaps, but I believe that the back electrode on early LCDs was opaque.

MrArgent
August 7th, 2017, 02:25 PM
The Data General laptop's battery holds a charge. Groovy. Still getting error 11 on cold boot, though.