PDA

View Full Version : Artisoft NE-2 Boot ROM GAL (U21) -- Anyone Have It?

glitch
August 8th, 2017, 03:31 PM
I've been going through a bunch of extra hardware, and decided to test some network cards for XT-IDE Universal BIOS compatibility. None of my Artisoft AE-2 Ethernet cards (a NE-2000 clone with optional enhancements) worked with it. I dug out the full manual and discovered that the GAL in U21 needs to be present for boot ROM support (makes sense, it's right next to the ROM options jumpers). None of my AE-2s have it. Does anyone have one they can dump?

Chuck(G)
August 8th, 2017, 05:44 PM
None of mine have U21--given the pinout, it's probably a 22V10--and I'll bet the Artisoft blew the privacy fuses if you do run across one.

glitch
August 8th, 2017, 06:06 PM
None of mine have U21--given the pinout, it's probably a 22V10--and I'll bet the Artisoft blew the privacy fuses if you do run across one.

Easy enough to bruteforce, though! It could probably be worked out with a multimeter, but with the other cards I've got that *do* have proper EPROM support, I'm not sure it's worthwhile.

Chuck(G)
August 8th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Exactly--the GAL does address and ROM size selection. If I really needed it, it would be mostly some scribbling on a pad figuring out what goes where.

But I don't think I've ever used a NIC with a boot ROM.

glitch
August 9th, 2017, 05:15 AM
They're handy for adding modern hard disk support via the XT-IDE Universal BIOS -- burn a ROM with the AT image, configured for full operating mode, and just tell the PC BIOS that there's no hard disk(s) installed. Gets you around proprietary BIOSes that were locked to a few drives as well.

lowen
August 9th, 2017, 12:43 PM
But I don't think I've ever used a NIC with a boot ROM.
Back in 1991 or so one place I worked used boot ROMs on the NIC for diskless workstations to boot MS-DOS directly from a Netware mapped drive.

Chuck(G)
August 9th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Yup--and Lantastic also had a remote boot mode, I seem to recall.