PDA

View Full Version : I hate Apple

Vlad
January 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I'm done with Apple anything. I've had 3 G3 machines and all three of them have died. Yet, I have a Samsung from the 1980's that still runs strong. Is it me or is Apple just cheaply made? I had a big G3 AIO "Molar" die, a G3 Desktop go south, and now my iMac G3 died. ??? I take very good care of them and everything, they always just stop working. I've been pretty unimpressed with anything Macintosh so far. I'd have more faith in an eMachine than a Mac at this point. At least the iMac has a handle I can tie a rope around so I can use it for a Boat Anchor. (Thanks for the idea Hunter)

I'll stick to a *NIX on x86 hardware......

atari2600a
January 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Woah, worse than eMachines? A little harsh don't you think?

Unknown_K
January 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM
All in one macs where the monitor is in the same case with the motherboards tend to get too hot. The original Imacs bake themselves to death.

The Macs I have (mostly 68K) work just fine.

apple2fan
January 12th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Why can't we just all get along??:cry:
:D

wasted39
January 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I have a blue and white G3, beige tower g3 and a couple Apple II's from the 80's and they all are running. Never had much use for the iMac or the all in ones. But I have heard that they can bake themselves.

Vlad
January 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM
The iMac blew a cap, the Big AIO's CRT died and the G3 desktop had a mobo failure. I still have a Powermac 9500 and a Preforma 630CD though. I'd buy a new one but since they left PowerPC, Apple is dead to me.

atari2600a
January 13th, 2007, 01:05 AM
If you ask me, the move to x86 just made it easier to run OSX on a good computer (you know, with out some super PPC emulator from the future)

WARNING: Running OSX on a computer other than one with the Apple(TM) trademark is strictly prohibited. If you run OSX on a computer that has it, you will be punished by the all mighty Steve Jobs. All hail Steve Jobs. Why are you still reading this?

apple2fan
January 13th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Hey, if you don't want them, I could use them in a project of mine. Think about it. Thanks.

Vlad
January 13th, 2007, 10:34 AM
The 3 dead Macs?

There are 2 G3 mobos and procs that probably work, I just don't have the energy to screw with them anymore. PM me if you want something.

-VK

chuckcmagee
January 13th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I just purchased a G3 PowerMac 300Mhz (yep, the blue/white one) and a nice blue iMac 300 G3 too. I overpaid on the PowerMac it looks like, I should have only paid $39.99 instead of $51.00, the iMac was $39.99. At those prices, if each one lasts 4 or 5 months, that should do it. I just got them to play around with anyway. I haven't even got them out of the shipping boxes yet, too much other stuff to fix first.

apple2fan
January 15th, 2007, 05:55 AM
PMed you Vlad. Thanks.

Starshadow
January 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I think you must have ticked of some computer god or something to have such bad luck with Macs. I have 18 Macs of various vintage and only have one that seems like it might finally die( a Classic II with a PSU board on the fritz). Macs are usually quite well built systems that will run forever.

Terry Yager
January 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Yes, you must place your pocket protector in the center of a holy pentagram, (oriented to the nearest North/South lay-line), and dance around it three times, chanting the sacred mantra, "It's a feature, not a bug!".

--T

Vlad
January 16th, 2007, 04:32 AM
In hinde sight, It probably was my fault. I used to be pretty anit-apple in teh early days. Then I embraced Apple and the Mac, now I must return to my old ways by default.

carlsson
January 16th, 2007, 06:03 AM
?TOO MUCH LOVE ERROR
READY.

Starshadow
January 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Yes, you must place your pocket protector in the center of a holy pentagram, (oriented to the nearest North/South lay-line), and dance around it three times, chanting the sacred mantra, "It's a feature, not a bug!".

Or buy a used machine that originally had Linux when you bought it and install Windows ME over Linux.:killcomputer:

Yzzerdd
January 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I am very loyal to Apple/Mac. All of mine seem to work great, but I havent gotten my hands on a newer one. I am hoping to get an older CRT iMac *someday*...(*Hint, *Hint)

ahm
January 17th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I am hoping to get an older CRT iMac *someday*...(*Hint, *Hint)

Why wait? http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?Cat=810

detnyre
January 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I have a two year old Powerbook G4 that I really like and I plan to use for as long as I can. I have not babied it at all and have had no hardware issues, yet...

I like the PowerPC platform and want to stay away from the intel based Macs for as long as I can.

Vlad
January 17th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Intel Macs are evil. I miss the PowerPC's. I miss my Macs too, just don't really want another so the process can repeat. >_>

chuckcmagee
January 17th, 2007, 03:00 PM
You can get an iMac crt job on ebay any day of the week for $39.99 plus s/h. I did.

tgunner
January 21st, 2007, 10:26 AM
Those old imac's are usually on craigslist for locally for ~$50. I had one, it was mostly useless.... I gave it away. Try to get the slot-load ones.

Vlad
January 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
That was a Power mac "Molar". Their an old Education model. Pretty old school too.

-VK

applefreak
July 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
I've had 3 G3 machines and all three of them have died.
most imacs G3 with dead (or low) pram battery don't startup

place a new pram battery
an/or
reset the pram
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Druid6900
July 21st, 2007, 10:04 AM
I have a few PowerPCs and a bunch of "pizza box" Macs and, yesterday, got a LC575 AIO and, except for having to replace all the batteries in them they work fine and will be going on my site as soon as I can find some decent Mac diagnostic tests.

Salvaged the one that didn't work for parts to fix a couple of the others.

Guy gave me scanners, external SyQuest type removable hard drives, modems, printers, scanners and all kinds of stuff. It was a pretty good haul even though none of them will go for much.

evildragon
July 21st, 2007, 10:07 AM
All bondi blue iMac G3's have defective flyback transformers after a while. They had poor ventilation, and they make POP sounds and the iMac shuts itself off..

For those, just disconnect the monitor cable and attach an Apple-to-VGA adapter and it'll be back up running, though, a BIG computer with no built in monitor then..

The flybacks can be replaced though, luckily..

Vlad
July 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM
This isn't my first time, I checked the PRAM battery. It was the first thing I did check. And further review of the tread would have reviled what happened to make them die. One had a CRT crap out, one had a blown cap that ended up burning out several other things and the final one never worked right because I found out later on someone had shorted something with a screw driver. So I have on mobo and nothing to hook it to. The other 2 are either dead, or might as well be.

CP/M User
July 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM
Funny thing that how those Apple commercials don't talk about how you need an Apple Service Technician around every time you need to turn on an Apple! :-D

All I can say is they're great machines when their functioning properly!

evildragon
July 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
to be fair, the PowerMac G3 motherboards weren't even designed by Apple, btw.. Were they running OS X? Those can seem to make the firmware fail, I know a trick to get them running again...

Vlad
July 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Nah, they either had OS 9 or 8. OS X is pretty and all, but I don't really like it. OS 9 was pretty cool though.

evildragon
July 21st, 2007, 09:12 PM
What are their symptoms? Where I used to work, we repaired Apples (and PCs)...

It could be resolved by a simple push of a button on the motherboard, the CUDA switch.. AND removing the battery.. They run on OpenFirmware, so you can try getting to that too..

Beige or Blue/White?

Vlad
July 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM
*sigh* I know of the button. The CRT Molar one is long gone and was disposed of. The G3 desktop is in the basement awaiting its fate what ever that may be. ( I think that was the one I bled on) the iMac was repaired and currently waiting for me to give it attention and there's a mobo that belonged to that giant AIO molar thats in a closet I believe.

The G3 desktop probably works, but has no RAM or hard dive. The iMac is just moody and needs an OS. And I don't know what to do with the mobo since its probably dead so It'll probably become a conversation piece.

evildragon
July 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM
I have an AIO still in operation, my baby sister uses it for DVDs and some kids games.. It's still working and very well taken care of.

When a PowerMac ever goes bad, atleast try to get into OpenFirmware and clear it.. Power outages corrupt it...

Vlad
July 21st, 2007, 09:34 PM
Unless flashing the firmware magically repairs a CRT tube, I doubt it would have helped it.

evildragon
July 21st, 2007, 09:46 PM
Unless flashing the firmware magically repairs a CRT tube, I doubt it would have helped it.
I'm talking about the desktops, weren't you atleast talking about a desktop unit?

Anyways, most iMac G3 issues are flyback transformers from overheating.. Easy fix, if you know soldering and discharging a tube...

CP/M User
July 22nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
evildragon wrote:

I'm talking about the desktops, weren't you atleast talking about a desktop unit?

I know I was! :-D

Vlad
July 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
the iMac was repaired and currently waiting for me to give it attention

one had a blown cap

Read the thread. I stated what was wrong, a few times. I had a blown cap and almost burned something near by. It is fixed and is just waiting for an OS.

This thread ran its course a long time ago...