PDA

View Full Version : New to XT-IDE.. Could use some assistance.

zombienerd
August 19th, 2017, 07:27 PM
So, I purchased Glitch's Rev 3 kit, and assembled it tonight. The board coating didn't seem to like IPA alcohol to clean off the flux. It got a bit gummy and washed out. I should have tested a small corner before I deluged the board. I was able to polish it up a bit after though.

I have looked over the jumper settings, and have set the default address of 300. I have jumpered J1 to make pin 20 have +5, as I plan to use a DOM that will arrive in a few days. I also set the default ROM address of D0000.

Now what?

I'm unsure if I need to use the High speed or compatibility mode (J2 / J3)

I'm guessing I need to download one of the XT-IDE BIOS files and load this onto the card. I am unsure how to do this. Does anyone know of a quick start guide, or something similar that's an "XT-IDE for dummies" :P

This card is going to be installed into an IBM PS/2 Model 25-004 if it matters.

Pictures are post-assembly, but before I put on the bracket and set the jumpers.

glitch
August 20th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Huh, OK, weird on the IPA issue -- unless you mean India Pale Ale! I use 91% drugstore isopropyl to clean up if I have to make a repair and have never damaged the solder mask. I use organic core solder for assembling the pre-built ones, which is water soluble, so I haven't immersed the whole board or anything.

Anyway! I'd start off in compatibility mode, plug the ROM in, and load the XT-IDE Universal BIOS v.1.1.5. You can download it here:

ftp://filedump.glitchwrks.com/xt_ide/bios/xub_1.1.5.zip

Even if you're wanting to run the 2.x branch of the XUB, I'd start with 1.1.5 as several people have had weird issues with the 2.x versions and initially thought they'd messed up in assembling their boards.

Unzip the provided file, put the files on a bootable floppy (or on a hard disk in another system with ISA slots), and run XTIDECFG. The IDE_XT.BIN flie is pre-configured for the default settings on the rev 3 boards (0x300 I/O, 0xD0000 ROM address). Load that file, then go to the Flashing menu. Set the EEPROM page size to 64 bytes, and go. If everything is OK, you now have a bootable XT-IDE!

I've been planning on writing a manual for the XT-IDE, but just haven't gotten around to it. There used to be guides for the XT-IDE Universal BIOS, I don't know if those still exist online or not.

zombienerd
August 20th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Huh, OK, weird on the IPA issue -- unless you mean India Pale Ale! I use 91% drugstore isopropyl to clean up if I have to make a repair and have never damaged the solder mask. I use organic core solder for assembling the pre-built ones, which is water soluble, so I haven't immersed the whole board or anything.

I was using standard 99% Isopropyl alcohol, I did soak the board for about 30 seconds. My solder is rosin core, I don't think it's organic. I then scrubbed the board with a toothbrush to loosen all the flux, and it cleaned up nicely. When I was drying the board (lint-free cloth), the cloth was sticking to the board a bit, and the shiny-ness vanished. Some spots got a milky-white color to it. Once it was completely dry, I was able to polish the board with a dry nylon brush, and the tackyness went away, and the board looks pretty good (as you can see in the pictures) but not quite as good as it could have ;)

I've been planning on writing a manual for the XT-IDE, but just haven't gotten around to it. There used to be guides for the XT-IDE Universal BIOS, I don't know if those still exist online or not.

This writeup should do me fine, that's what I wanted to know! I appreciate it.