PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the strangest 80286 AT you have ever seen...

1ST1
August 21st, 2017, 10:22 AM
... because its a typewriter. And as it is based on an i80286 with 2 MB RAM and 20 MB harddisk, standard VGA, running MS-DOS 3.20 and Windows 3.0, it's a PC-AT as well. The machine is called Triumph Adler OPS 400 what is just a rebranded Olivetti ETV 4000s. The biggest difference between TA and Olivetti branded is a different kind of VGA monochrome monitor, the Olivetti one is nicer, the TA one is rebranded Philips 14 inch type. The machine has an integrated and very interesting thermo transfer printer based on IBM Quietwriter technology. Besides the preinstalled wordprocessing and dtp software it can run any other Windows and DOS software whch is happy with a 286. This is the last model of video typewriters Olivetti has designed, there was no more successor of this model.

40401 40402 40403 40404

Trixter
August 21st, 2017, 10:33 AM
Very cool! Never seen that before. It's interesting that they made no attempt to stop people from running regular software on it.

T-R-A
August 21st, 2017, 04:44 PM
Interesting find! Just curious, does the "typewriter" portion do graphics as well (making it a complete AT with printer) or simply text? And if text only, is there any provision (COM/LPT port) to add a "real" printer?

krebizfan
August 21st, 2017, 04:55 PM
If it uses the Quietwriter design, it should be doing 240 dpi graphics.

How did pricing compare to ETV 4000?

1ST1
August 22nd, 2017, 12:28 AM
Both machines, TA OPS 400 and Olivetti ETV 4000s are capable to print graphics. The wordprocessor software can handle TIF/PCX/BMP and one more historic graphics format (not JPG). There is also a simple DTP (Deskop Puplishing) software installed. The internal printer is just rerouted to LPT1: by the DOS-driver which initializes the printer and sets the keyboard language (no keyb gr needed). So any Windows application can print on it over the preinstalled driver. Additionally on the rear side the machine has serial and parallel interface, one of my tasks to examine the system is to check if that parallelport is set to LPT1: as well or to LPT2:. Besides that I want to make a backup of the whole system, maybe even replace the mechanical harddisk by CF. Additionally next to LPT and COM interface the machine has a mini-DIN interface for a Mitsumi hand(y)scanner, unfortunatelly the scanner is missing on my machine.

Unfortunatelly I have no pricing information for both machines, that would interest me, too.

dieymir
August 22nd, 2017, 03:43 AM
It was the last of the ETV family. There are an interesting discussion about this cool machines here:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-44827.html