PDA

View Full Version : Ampro Little Board

Alphasite
August 24th, 2017, 05:20 PM
I have an original Ampro Little Board. I've got it working but wanted to see if anyone had a link to a copy of the technical manual with schematics. All I could find were for the Little Board Plus.

At first I thought it wasn't working because I couldn't get any display. Once I connected my HxC floppy emulator with an image of the system disk I was able to boot and then create a new system floppy. I guess I have the limited monitor on mine. Is the new ROM image with the built-in monitor I see listed as for the Little Board Plus also compatible with the original?

I need to order the connector for the reset switch/power LED. The person I got the board from years ago had lost that cable. Fortunately the serial cables and parallel cables are still there. I'm going to mount it with two floppy drives in an old small case that used to have a DLT4000 drive.

ldkraemer
August 24th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Alphasite,
Yes, there are copies of the manual on Bitsavers and Amaus.org

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ampro/
https://amaus.org/static/S100/ampro/little%20board/

And if that doesn't suit you, I've got a PDF of my Original Owners manual for LB Z80.

Larry

Alphasite
August 26th, 2017, 07:06 PM
I bought a new programmer so I started going through my stash of old EPROMs to check them and archive if there was anything interesting. One of them was an original Ampro ROM. I installed it and started up without a floppy and was greeted with the monitor.

Larry's helped me with the other issues.

tipc
August 26th, 2017, 11:28 PM
I neglected the opportunity to own one of these a while ago. It runs MS-DOS as I understand it, but lacks significant IBM software compatibility. And hardware compatibility. I have the later LittleBoard/PC which sports a V40, roughly equivalent to the original's 80186. But the board also has asics which make it fully IBM compatible. I've yet to fully test it. And I can plug a video card into it, via a separate adapter board, not Ampro's, but an aftermarket thingamabob made by Perkin Elmer. PE had a small IBM compatible at one point, roughly similar to the Hyperion iirc (I had a H*, sold it, didn't have the PE unit). Anyway I think I'll pull my LB/PC out soon and play with it some. Still want what you got though. Eventually I guess.

Alphasite
August 27th, 2017, 03:24 PM
I neglected the opportunity to own one of these a while ago. It runs MS-DOS as I understand it, but lacks significant IBM software compatibility. And hardware compatibility. I have the later LittleBoard/PC which sports a V40, roughly equivalent to the original's 80186. But the board also has asics which make it fully IBM compatible. I've yet to fully test it. And I can plug a video card into it, via a separate adapter board, not Ampro's, but an aftermarket thingamabob made by Perkin Elmer. PE had a small IBM compatible at one point, roughly similar to the Hyperion iirc (I had a H*, sold it, didn't have the PE unit). Anyway I think I'll pull my LB/PC out soon and play with it some. Still want what you got though. Eventually I guess.

The original Ampro Little Board had a Z80 and ran CP/M.

tipc
August 27th, 2017, 07:43 PM
The original Ampro Little Board had a Z80 and ran CP/M.

I know but it's extraneous to the present discussion.

Alphasite
August 27th, 2017, 08:46 PM
I know but it's extraneous to the present discussion.

This thread about the original Ampro Little Board, not any of the later models that had x86 CPUs. You said you passed up the opportunity to own one and said that as you understood it it ran MS-DOS, so mentioning that the original had a Z80 and ran CP/M will help anyone that doesn't know not get confused later if they get one and are searching for information.

tipc
August 27th, 2017, 08:55 PM
oh why didn't you just say so! :)

Chuck(G)
August 27th, 2017, 10:32 PM
Whatever happened to Bill Dollar? I remember him from when Ampro was on Evelyn almost right under the Mary Ave. overpass (IIRC).