PDA

View Full Version : Overland Data 1/2" 9-Track Tape Drive Information - Halp!

Frobenius
September 2nd, 2017, 04:37 PM
Greetings to the Forum from the Rocky Mountains.

I have a primordial 1/2" 9-Track Reel-to-Reel Tape Drive built by Overland Data (model 3201 built in 1992) that I am endeavoring to connect to the 68060 development system that I have assembled through the parallel port.

It's a pretty thing!

Does anyone have any documentation on command/response sequences for this beast???

...or a schematic???

I do have all of the documentation on this drive available from BitSavers.Org, but that is all just user documentation.

Any suggestions on other sources?

I appreciate any help.

Regards,

Frobenius

ps - This is my first post - Please forgive any formatting screw ups etc!

tingo
September 12th, 2017, 04:36 AM
What kind of interface is on the drive? SCSI? Or something else?

gslick
September 12th, 2017, 05:46 AM
Is that a 3-row 62-pin D-shell connector on the cable to the drive, and does the drive end terminate in 2 50-pin card edge connectors? If so it is probably a standard Pertec interface.

Chuck(G)
September 12th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Many of the later OD drives have both Pertec and PC parallel port interfaces. I've never seen an OD schematic; they may never have been published.

Pertec interfaces are pretty well documented, but OD's parallel port, not so much.

Frobenius
October 1st, 2017, 04:40 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been swamped at work.

The Overland drive has two interfaces: Pertec and then a straight parallel port.

CuriousMarc has a very nice video of the Overland drive operating on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCBxNhEzIfc starting at 12:50.

I got the drive to pass the power-on self tests by commanding it to reinitialize its NOVRAM to factory defaults as per the documentation that I have - it failed before with a "Magic NOVRAM Error" error, which was interesting.

Anyway, all that went away and all seems well - but, now it is having trouble seeing the BOT (Beginning of Tape) strip on the LOAD command - I wonder if there is a fault with the LED/photocell sensor thingus.

Has anyone seen any schematics for this tape drive? That would be of enormous help.

Regards,

Frobenius