PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet on Windows 3.1

ScanDisk
September 3rd, 2017, 09:55 PM
I find myself wanting to use the internet on my Windows 3.1 machine. I know I'll need Trumpet Winsock for sure, which can be easily downloaded, and I will also need an ethernet card.

Of course it'll need DOS/Win 3.x drivers.

Any got any recommendations for any?

Chuck(G)
September 3rd, 2017, 10:08 PM
NE2000-compatible cards are cheap, plentiful and drivers are easy to find. You can find them with 10Base2, 10BaseT and AUI connections.

TravisHuckins
September 3rd, 2017, 10:15 PM
Install Windows For Workgroups 3.11... it works if you can't find the right drivers.

ScanDisk
September 3rd, 2017, 10:26 PM
I wish the parentals kept their landline, that way I could just use one of the many ISA modems I have.

Caluser2000
September 3rd, 2017, 10:58 PM
I find myself wanting to use the internet on my Windows 3.1 machine. I know I'll need Trumpet Winsock for sure, which can be easily downloaded, and I will also need an ethernet card.

Of course it'll need DOS/Win 3.x drivers.

Any got any recommendations for any?I have this set up on my 286.
Any nic with packet drivers will do the trick. I use D-Link DE-220 nics on more system.

ScanDisk
September 3rd, 2017, 11:21 PM
I have this set up on my 286.
Any nic with packet drivers will do the trick. I use D-Link DE-220 nics on more system.

Thanks,

I will use that.

Seeing how this will cost almost or even a little over $100 with shipping, I will have to put it off until next month.

Scratch that:

Seems I found one that I can afford buying now.

Do you mind telling me how you set it up, and where you got the drivers for it?

Thanks.

Caluser2000
September 4th, 2017, 02:24 PM
I got the DE-220 drivers from http://support.dlink.com.au/drivers/files/adapters/de220.htm

First you need know the address and irq. I set mine to 300 10. This is done with the setup util in the download

I had the packet driver in its own directory called C:\pktdrv and had that set in the "PATH" statement of the autoexec.bat file.
That allowed you to run the packet driver from the C:\ prompt

You also require winpkt.com. This is in the Trumpet Winsock disk.

ScanDisk
September 4th, 2017, 03:47 PM
I got the DE-220 drivers from http://support.dlink.com.au/drivers/files/adapters/de220.htm

First you need know the address and irq. I set mine to 300 10. This is done with the setup util in the download

I had the packet driver in its own directory called C:\pktdrv and had that set in the "PATH" statement of the autoexec.bat file.
That allowed you to run the packet driver from the C:\ prompt

You also require winpkt.com. This is in the Trumpet Winsock disk.

I found out that I can still do dial-up over my VOIP as long as it's connected directly to my router, and not to my computer, so I am trying that now, if that fails, I'll have to take this route.

Caluser2000
September 4th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Ethernet is far quicker than ppp.