PDA

View Full Version : Ampro Little Board SCSI/PLUS HOST ADAPTER

phogren
September 5th, 2017, 03:32 PM
I got an Ampro little board computer with the nifty cabinet. The pictures showed a 50 PIN SCSI connector on the back.
I wanted it for the cabinet but having the SCSI board would make it a win win.
I have 2 other little board setups and a 80186 setup.
This one came with a nice cabinet and 2 Canon MDD221 1/2 DSDD drives.
BAD STUFF:
opening it up the SCSI daughter board wasn't connected and several of the pins were bent. The Z80 is removed and the daughter board plugs in. The drives had jammed eject buttons but that wasn't too difficult to fix. However they won't work - yet.

GOOD STUFF:
using a known working board and putting the daughter board on it - it works! Haven't tried a hard disk yet.

HELP:
the new little board will not display anything. It will boot and respond to keyboard commands but nothing comes on screen. I can swap everything over from a working system but nothing gets displayed. You can hear the disk drive booting and it responds to key board commands but it's not transmitting anything.4061440615

gslick
September 5th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Looks like one of these. I was surprised the first one sold for so much less than the other two. I guess the extra value must have been in the SCSI interface.

Ampro Computers Inc. Model 142 Floppy Disk Reader - Untested (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ampro-Computers-Inc-Model-142-Floppy-Disk-Reader-Untested-/311941078816) $27.00

Vintage Ampro Series 100 Single Board Computer (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ampro-Series-100-Single-Board-Computer-/311943059241) $305.00

2) Vintage Ampro Series 100 Single Board Computer (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Ampro-Series-100-Single-Board-Computer-/332351528420) $355.00

phogren
September 5th, 2017, 04:15 PM
I was the middle one. I'm very happy as this was a system on my bucket list. This is the first time I've ever seen the SCSI adapter.

Alphasite
September 5th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Looks like one of these. I was surprised the first one sold for so much less than the other two. I guess the extra value must have been in the SCSI interface.

Ampro Computers Inc. Model 142 Floppy Disk Reader - Untested (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ampro-Computers-Inc-Model-142-Floppy-Disk-Reader-Untested-/311941078816) $27.00

Vintage Ampro Series 100 Single Board Computer (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ampro-Series-100-Single-Board-Computer-/311943059241) $305.00

2) Vintage Ampro Series 100 Single Board Computer (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Ampro-Series-100-Single-Board-Computer-/332351528420) $355.00

There were four of them. I won the first one. I wanted one of the systems with the SCSI adapter but didn't want to go over $300.

Mine had one drive with a jammed eject button that I was able to fix, but neither drive seems to work. The motors spin but the activity lights never come on.

Alphasite
September 5th, 2017, 05:41 PM
I got an Ampro little board computer with the nifty cabinet. The pictures showed a 50 PIN SCSI connector on the back.
I wanted it for the cabinet but having the SCSI board would make it a win win.
I have 2 other little board setups and a 80186 setup.
This one came with a nice cabinet and 2 Canon MDD221 1/2 DSDD drives.
BAD STUFF:
opening it up the SCSI daughter board wasn't connected and several of the pins were bent. The Z80 is removed and the daughter board plugs in. The drives had jammed eject buttons but that wasn't too difficult to fix. However they won't work - yet.

GOOD STUFF:
using a known working board and putting the daughter board on it - it works! Haven't tried a hard disk yet.

HELP:
the new little board will not display anything. It will boot and respond to keyboard commands but nothing comes on screen. I can swap everything over from a working system but nothing gets displayed. You can hear the disk drive booting and it responds to key board commands but it's not transmitting anything.4061440615

If swapping the serial cable didn't work then I'd check the RS232 receiver IC (75189, I think) or the Z80 DART.

phogren
September 5th, 2017, 05:56 PM
I'll post if/when I can get them to work. They are in like new condition inside so hopefully they haven't been abused.

geneb
September 6th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Be aware that the power supplies in those things weren't so great. I've got two with dead 1488 line drivers in the console serial ports because the power supply over-volted them.

g.

phogren
September 6th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Power supply seems funky so I ordered a replacement that is close and puts out a little more power.
Problem with the drives is that the spindle isn't going down far enough to spin the disk. I'll have to figure it out. For those of us old enough to remember: Ever put a coin on top of phonograph arm to make it track better. I didn't do that with the drive spindle but when i noticed the floppy wasn't moving i pressed lightly on the spindle and: TA DA it worked. just in case a little light lube didn't solve the problem.

Alphasite
September 6th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Power supply seems funky so I ordered a replacement that is close and puts out a little more power.
Problem with the drives is that the spindle isn't going down far enough to spin the disk. I'll have to figure it out. For those of us old enough to remember: Ever put a coin on top of phonograph arm to make it track better. I didn't do that with the drive spindle but when i noticed the floppy wasn't moving i pressed lightly on the spindle and: TA DA it worked. just in case a little light lube didn't solve the problem.

I should probably order a replacement, too, if the one that came with can damage the board. Which one did you order?

My drives clamp down and sping the floppies but I never get an activity light. Given that the PS might be troublesome I'll try them in the PC I built to read and write floppies.

phogren
September 9th, 2017, 02:48 PM
My new power supply arrived but I haven't tried it yet. I have made some progress on the floppy drives. there is a solenoid on the left side (looking from front) whose function seems to be turning the access light off and on. the solenoid connects to a lever that goes underneath the side of the head that lever also lifts the head up when you eject a disk.
On the disk spinning issue there must have been something under the lever that puts tension on the spindle assembly, something like a rubber bushing. Putting a spacer under the lever makes everything work correctly, including the access light. I am attaching a link to a manual

http://www.vintagecomputer.net/fjkraan/comp/trs80/doc/Canon_MDD211_221.pdf

phogren
September 12th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Success
I've got it working. 40708

The problem with the drives is/was that when the eject button got pushed in without a floppy in the drive, it bent part of the linkage. I can't even figure out how it was possible.
I'm experimenting with trying to get just the right angle on it.
Now, on to see if I can get the hard drive working.

Alphasite
September 12th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Success
I've got it working. 40708

The problem with the drives is/was that when the eject button got pushed in without a floppy in the drive, it bent part of the linkage. I can't even figure out how it was possible.
I'm experimenting with trying to get just the right angle on it.
Now, on to see if I can get the hard drive working.

Can you take a picture of the drive and highlight the linkage that got bent? I don't see anything that looks bent on mine.

phogren
September 13th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure if I have the correct solution but I do know the problem:
If you put a spacer under that long arm., i used a doubled up piece of cardboard, it pushes the spindle down far enough and the disk will spin.
I am not sure which part is bent or broken but I am trying to figure that out now.