PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Pres 1670

NathanAllan
January 14th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Just inherited this machine, Presario 1670 laptop. It has a setup issue. I can't get into the hard drive settings. I can get to the BIOS okay but it won't let me go past the fdd selector to the hdd's below it. Is there some setup disk I need to access it? I know this came with a restore cd but I don't have it and can't find one after a cursory search online.

Issues that I'm not worried about are a dead battery, and a cranky power connector (I have to use a port replicator else it disconnects) and dead hdd. Not worried about these things.

I figger it's old enough to ask about here as it has a 350mhz processor and y'all might know something I don't.

chuckcmagee
January 14th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Hmm, I still own numerous Compaq desktops and NONE, repeat NONE allow any kind of CHS type stuff (cyl, head, sect). That has bitten me over and over as I have attempted to move hard drives from one compaq to the other one. One of them likes 240 heads and the other goes for 255 heads (standard LBA). So... the drive geometry is always messed up and I ALWAYS forget about all this until XP complains about no "NTLDR". Then, it all comes rushing back and I can't figure out how I manage to forget that problem every time.

NathanAllan
January 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I can't even get that far, and bios is stuck on "none." I'm still lookin gup articles and stuff on it, see if I can determine anything.

GraceUGrad2006
January 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Nathan,
I have a Compaq presario desktop PC and I am having some problems and I am not sure to do.Its running slow and freezing often Ive debugged and cleaned the disc drive and defragged. I think I may need to upgrade because I am taking classes on line and some of the programs needed may be too much but because I am not as technology versed as some so I do not know where to begin. Or if I even need to upgrade at all If you can help I would appreciate it. I may not be on the vintage for awhile I am doing final work for my class and it is due tues so I will be working on that.
but here is my email if you can help me angelschupp@hotmail.com
Thank you
Angel

NathanAllan
January 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Chuck, do you knowwhere I can get a small hex-head screwdriver for this thing other than Compaq? I'll look in my Mouser catalog and check the website again, I didn't see it before. It has to be small, like a jewel set of screwdrivers except T-? sized. Er, are you familiar with this model? It has some pretty small screws in its case.

chuckcmagee
January 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM
hmm, I own a T-8 and a T-10 screwdrivers (those six sided "star" like jobs are called Tork). I just purchased mine in a standard set of screwdrivers (elcheapo in vinyl bag). They work better than flat head or phillips. Just do a google on "tork screwdriver" or call Ace hardware or....

chuckcmagee
January 19th, 2007, 11:18 PM
And, not sure I was clear. All my Compaqs do NOT offer any selection as far as hard drive parms goes. You turn the power off, you set your "master" "slave" "cable select" HD jumpers, plug it all in and power it on. If you are lucky, it comes back with "Drive 1 added - 620MB, etc). If you have a jumper wrong, then it just hangs or you get no drives, etc. None of that "type 47" , Type 32, none of that ever shows up anywhere. Other BIOSes have an "auto" detect option, on Compaq, that's all you have.

CP/M User
January 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Hmmm. There's a bit of modern-day computer talk in the General Off Topic section - just wondered if this shouldn't warrant a section for itself?

Be a bit of a laugh having a Modern-day Computer Section in the Vintage Computer forum! :-D