PDA

View Full Version : Question

sool
January 14th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I have a question. I mostly use my computer to play some good grapics 3-d games. My last computer broke down so i got a new computer and i cant game very good. I think it has something to do with my processor. I have a intel celeron d processor and 256 mb of ram. Does any one have suggestions on what to upgrade on my computer

mbbrutman
January 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM
You must be new here.

Moved your post to 'off-topic' .. this is a vintage computer forum.

Bill_Loguidice
January 14th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Assuming your operating system is Windows XP, you'll need to at least double your memory, though 1GB would be ideal. Also, if you have built-in graphics acceleration rather than a separate graphics card, you won't be able to run most of the latest high-end games smoothly at all (and keep in mind that most built-in graphics cards cannibalize main memory). Your best bet is to turn down as many of the graphics settings as possible in the individual game and run at the lowest resolution you're comfortable with. If you can't afford a new computer, then another option is a console like the Xbox 360, where you won't have to worry about replacing it for the next four years or so. Of course that's a pretty different experience depending upon which games you like and a whole different system to buy games for.

dongfeng
January 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Most mainboards with onboard graphics also allow you to disable that and put in your own :)

A memory upgrade is about the best thing you can do, at least 512 with XP. Celerons are not great for games, maybe upgrade to a P4 if budget allows? But memory and graphics upgrades would be higher on the list.

Bill_Loguidice
January 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Most mainboards with onboard graphics also allow you to disable that and put in your own :)

Absolutely. However, this sounds like a total budget box though from what little we know, so you wonder if there is an available AGP or PCIe slot. In any case, I'd be curious if this person ever makes an appearance on here again anyway.

UncleBinary
January 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM
A pentuim 4 processor or a AMD one should suffice.Celeron processors dont have as much cache and has a low speed maybe 1Ghz?which slows the computer down a little.If you can and your computer is compatible with SRAM you should get 1GB of SRAM.Try and fill in as much memory slots in your computer as you can, it will speed it up memory wise.SRAM is faster because you no longer need to refresh but it costs a little more and is a big bulkier. A pentuim 4 isn't really expensive maybe 200-250.Or $20 on Ebay.