PDA

View Full Version : Sound Blaster 16 CT4170

ScanDisk
September 7th, 2017, 01:18 PM
I've had a Sound Blaster Vibra 16 in my Packard Bell Pack-mate III (286-12) machine until about a week ago, when I took it out and put it in my Windows 3.1 machine which has a 75mhz pentium, because it could be used more there considering the pack-mate can't do 386 enhanced mode that's required to load the windows drivers for the card.

It did work fine for DOS, Wolfenstein 3D used it, and Dual Module Player used it, even though I told DMP it was an SB PRO (backwards compatibility I guess?).

Anyways, I bought another SB16, this time it is a CT4170. It came in today, and I installed it into the Pack-Mate III, but upon startup DOS still says the blaster settings are invalid.

Considering it is still an SB16 would I just need to uninstall and reinstall the drivers?

This is a newer model as it was 1997 on the card, I believe the Vibra 16 said 1994, could it be too new even though it's still in the SB16 family?

TravisHuckins
September 7th, 2017, 01:46 PM
I'm pretty sure the Vibra 16 uses a different driver than the regular 16s but I've never used one as I only have a Sound Blaster Pro 2.0.

ScanDisk
September 7th, 2017, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the Vibra 16 uses a different driver than the regular 16s but I've never used one as I only have a Sound Blaster Pro 2.0.

I wouldn't know either, I just used generic Sound Blaster 16 drivers for DOS downloaded from Vogons.

ScanDisk
September 8th, 2017, 02:47 PM
the weirdest thing just happened , my sound blaster card's PNP configuration file works fine on my pentium machine, but doesn't even want to install on my 286.

it says to please insert the installation diskette, but the diskette is obviously in there.It says that when trying to copy CTCU.EXE, when I do a DIR i see that the file is there.