PDA

View Full Version : PC/AT: IDE card causes temporary loss of configuration?

MrArgent
September 19th, 2017, 08:22 AM
So, I've got a Boca IDE Plus card and a 128mb IDE D.O.M. I'm trying to get my PC/AT talking to. When i have them connected to the system, it reports floppy controller errors for both my 1.44mb and my 1.2mb drives, then reports configuration not set as long as the card as in. Resetting the CMOS options manually from BASIC does nothing, but removing the card causes the system to boot off floppies just fine like nothing ever happened. Is this unusual? Am I gonna need to shell out for a XT-IDE card or ROM/NIC pairing?

Agent Orange
September 19th, 2017, 09:04 AM
So, I've got a Boca IDE Plus card and a 128mb IDE D.O.M. I'm trying to get my PC/AT talking to. When i have them connected to the system, it reports floppy controller errors for both my 1.44mb and my 1.2mb drives, then reports configuration not set as long as the card as in. Resetting the CMOS options manually from BASIC does nothing, but removing the card causes the system to boot off floppies just fine like nothing ever happened. Is this unusual? Am I gonna need to shell out for a XT-IDE card or ROM/NIC pairing?

Need more information on your system. Check your BIOS and see if you can can disable the onboard floppy controller.

MrArgent
September 19th, 2017, 09:11 AM
You know, come to think of it, it could be a conflict between the stock MFM controller board and the IDE card.

Config is currently as follows:
Drives

1.44mb 3,5" Floppy (On MFM card)
1.2mb 5.25" Floppy (On MFM card)
128mb DOM (On IDE controller)

Expansion Cards

Stock MFM controller
512k Memory Board
Boca Card
VGA Controller

BIOS is 11/15/85 (Rev. 3). Mainboard is 512k model.

David_M
September 19th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Yes, if you are using the default settings on the Boca card then you have both a floppy and hard disk controller conflict with the MFM card.
If you are not using an MFM drive in the system remove the MFM card and attach your floppy drives to the boca card.

If you need both controllers then set the ide and floppy interfaces to secondary, however if you do that the bios wont find the drive on the boca card, you will need to run xt-ide on a network card.
http://www.arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/c/A-B/20370.htm

Stone
September 19th, 2017, 09:25 AM
You know, come to think of it, it could be a conflict between the stock MFM controller board and the IDE card.If the MFM card has a floppy controller on it then... :-)

MrArgent
September 19th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Argh. The Boca card can't fit both the DOM and the Floppy connector... Gonna need to either get a male-female adapter for the dom so i can get it on a ribbon instead of directly on the header or set the MFM card to secondary for the floppies.

Managed to maul them both in place with some good old cable jiggling. This is gonna wear the board down badly but it seems to work for now until i can get a more elegant solution in place. Got it to boot off the floppy. Connecting the DOM now... FDISK recognizes it! PC-DOS 3.30 doesn't think too highly of a 128mb drive, though, so i've gotta set up a newer version. (I ordered a more modest 32mb, but it didn't like that much.)

...The DOS 5.02 installer failed to copy Command.com three disks into setup. Following a reboot, 162 - System options not set and I'm unceremoniously dumped to CBASIC. :/ I can still boot off the DOS setup floppy, though, but FDISK now reports no fixed disks present. when ran.

Stone
September 19th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Argh. The Boca card can't fit both the DOM and the Floppy connector... Gonna need to either get a male-female adapter for the dom so i can get it on a ribbon instead of directly on the header or set the MFM card to secondary for the floppies.Nope... you'll need a male-male adapter. Both the ribbon cable and the DOM are female.

... FDISK recognizes it! PC-DOS 3.30 doesn't think too highly of a 128mb drive, though, so i've gotta set up a newer version. (I ordered a more modest 32mb, but it didn't like that much.)DOS 3.3 supports 24 32MB partitions.

MrArgent
September 19th, 2017, 11:52 AM
This is bizarre. PC-DOS 5.2 and 6.10 both FDISK and FORMAT the drive fine. Setup even proceeds normally through most of the process (i.e. 99% under 5.20 and 96% under 6.10), but inevitably gets hung up trying to read COMMAND.COM (Complaining that An error occurred while reading or writing to drive C:) and the end result is never able to boot. Ought I give the settings on the adapter a one-over?

FORMAT /S and SYS don't get me past Non-System Disk or Disk Error. Replace and press any key when ready, too. I can freely make directories and files - basically everything but get a OS to install and subsequently boot...

Stone
September 19th, 2017, 12:23 PM
FDISK/MBR is your friend here. DOMs can have some funky quirks.

MrArgent
September 19th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Hmm... Just tried FDISK/MBR, no change by itself. Gonna try reinstalling DOS now that it's been ran.

Stone
September 19th, 2017, 12:53 PM
You don't need to run setup each time.

SYS C: is sufficient to make a drive bootable. Depending on the DOS version you may need to copy COMMAND.COM manually. If that doesn't work your problem lies elsewhere.

MrArgent
September 19th, 2017, 01:13 PM
hmm... Just a fair minute or two of blinking underscore, only to result in non-system disk or disk error. Replace and press any key when ready.

Stone
September 19th, 2017, 01:57 PM
You checked the obvious and the Status is Active and the Type Is Primary DOS?

MrArgent
September 19th, 2017, 02:43 PM
FDISK checks out, yup. Been tinkering with jumper settings... Just to be sure, am I supposed to set the drive type in GSETUP to No Drive or the closest match?

Also, an additional observation: I can read and write to C: (DIR, MKDIR and the like work fine), but trying to execute programs just results in Not ready reading Drive C: Abort, Retry, Fail?.

Stone
September 19th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Could be a geometry issue. What are you using for C-H-S and where did you get the values from?

MrArgent
September 19th, 2017, 05:44 PM
Type 9 (118mb - 900cyl/15heads/17TPI). Not a fit for the DOM at all but it's as close to 128mb as i can get. There aren't any provisions for custom geometry without applying a patched or third-party BIOS rom... And even if i were, the manufacturer of the DOM didn't specify C/H/S.

8 Logical heads, 991 logical cylinders, 32 logical sectors, per Micro House's IDE identification utility.

I don't want to deep six the authentic IBM BIOS, but at this point i might just have someone burn the 5170 AMI BIOS to a ROM and mail it to me.