PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5150/5160 Keyboard compatibility list

Retro Canada
September 21st, 2017, 09:15 AM
We need to make a keyboard compatibility for the after market keyboards. I got an IBM-5150 PC-2 BIOS-3 with no keyboard. I manage to find in a local recycling store an old BTC-53 series AT keyboard. I had very low hope because this keyboard seemed an AT only with no manual switch, but being an 1991 era it worth taking the risk for the 10 bucks I paid for... and it turns out the keyboard worked like a charm ! :D

Now I have an AT keyboard and this keyboard is not bad:foam and foil, linear capacitive with cherry-like key caps.

So starting the list:

BTC-53 series (auto-switching): tested on IBM 5150 PC-2 BIOS-3

Xacalite
September 21st, 2017, 03:52 PM
I'm afraid that attempts at creating such a list are hopeless, with so many clone keyboards, often by totally unknown makers where one can't even expect that two keyboards from the same series are internally the same.
I simply suggest to look for keyboards with visible XT/AT switch.

fatwizard
September 21st, 2017, 07:18 PM
I'm afraid that attempts at creating such a list are hopeless, with so many clone keyboards, often by totally unknown makers where one can't even expect that two keyboards from the same series are internally the same.
I simply suggest to look for keyboards with visible XT/AT switch.

Case in point. My BTC-53 Series keyboard is decidedly NOT auto-switching, and therefore not 5150/5160 compatible.

SpidersWeb
September 21st, 2017, 07:29 PM
All of my Commodore 101 key keyboards are autoswitching (from the Commodore PC-10/20/30 era) but generally if it doesn't have an XT/AT switch, or clearly XT only, I don't bother.