PDA

View Full Version : Siig s286

falter
September 27th, 2017, 06:07 PM
I've not been in a habit of collecting PC clones.. have quite a few of them already and not enough space. But I couldn't resist this little beast:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/292262805479?ul_noapp=true

Came with the power supply, thankfully. Apparently generates 3 beeps sometimes, which I think is memory? Not sure. Any thoughts?

Just thought the 'shoebox' form factor was kinda cool!

bobba84
September 27th, 2017, 07:54 PM
That is awesome!!! Never heard of them before. Would make a great vintage gaming unit!

Caluser2000
September 27th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Neat looking we unit all right.

David_M
September 27th, 2017, 09:29 PM
http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/siigs286/

They have three of them and no power supply or any idea what voltages are required on which pins, maybe you can work a deal.

falter
September 27th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Is that group evem still active? I thought I saw a message somewhere that they were defunct.

T-R-A
September 28th, 2017, 01:35 AM
The site is still there, but not maintained. I was a long-time visitor/poster to the site before it fell into disarray over some helpline-board postings long ago (>15 years). Most of the "hardware-contributors" really didn't contribute per se...they only sent photos of their equipment...

falter
September 28th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Yeah I was confused because it sounded like they were an actual museum but half the computers appeared to be privately owned. There are other sites like that where it's hard to tell if they're just a virtual/info site, a private collector posing as a museum or a real museum.

glitch
September 28th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Yeah, the Obsolete Computer Helpline/Obsolete Computer Museum has been unmaintained for a long time.

Cool little machine, I'd looked for one of these years ago (2000ish). Let us know how it goes!

3pcedev
September 29th, 2017, 02:03 PM
I'd start by removing that NiCd battery. It's hard to tell from the photo's but I would be willing to bet it's leaking.

falter
October 6th, 2017, 07:38 PM
I got my SIIG S286 today along with an ELF and an MK6800D1. I went for the SIIG right away because I figured it ought to be an easy one to figure out and diagnose, and it was. On arrival it powered up but produced a continuous series of 3 beeps. Suspecting the RAM, I opened it up, removed the 30pin SIMMs and tried some different 30pin SIMMs from my PS/2 Model 30. Nope. Same beep code. Now, it's been a long time since I've messed with 30pin SIMMs - there could have been rules I was forgetting. The chips I removed from the SIIG didn't work in the PS/2 either.. so that was kind of a wash. I also noticed an empty IC socket for 74LS374. But looking carefully at another photo of a SIIG it appeared that socket was supposed to be empty. Hmm. So next I removed the hard drive cable from the motherboard, just to see if I'd get a reaction. Sure enough, I did.. the beep pattern changed! Excellent. So this board has some life to it somewhere.

I looked around and around and then.. voila. An obvious problem. To fit the SIIG into its tiny case, the system board has been arranged in a sort of C-channel config.. there's the 'mainboard' on the bottom, a riser at the back with one full ISA slot, and then the floppy controller is supposed to plug into an edge connector on the top of that, going back out and over the motherboard. Turns out that had been disconnected.. the top board was just sitting loose in there. When I reconnected, bang! Just had to put in the BIOS entries for the hard drive (man, how I don't miss having to do that!) and reset -- boom! Started right up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ePYbN6FVb8

There was still some software on there from the previous owner.. mostly kiddie stuff Fisher Price Fire Rescue and the ubiquitous Wordperfect 5.1. But yeah, everything checks out.. the ST-157A in there seems to be working perfectly. The only occasional issue is sometimes you hit the power button and it lights up, but there's no action. It doesn't spin up the hard drive and boot. I end up fidgeting with the power connector and somehow it works the next time.

Neat little machine!

41124 41125 41126