PDA

View Full Version : no idea what I found

IceEva
October 6th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Hi folks,

I work in a botanical garden and we were looking through the stuff in the attic and found some older computers. I have no idea if this is worth keeping so I was hoping somebody could help. 41105411064110741108

MrArgent
October 6th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Well, let's see... I can't identify the top model since the badge is unreadable but that middle system is a XT 286, a somewhat unusual and (iirc) kind of uncommon system!

krebizfan
October 6th, 2017, 08:53 PM
The IBM monitor has what is likely to be an early touch screen since it has a cable leaving the lower right corner. Try to keep that monitor with the correct main system; there may be specialized cards and software needed to make it work. Separating the pieces would make it useless.

Would need more pictures to determine exactly what is there but I suspect at least one system has a interesting story.

SomeGuy
October 6th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Those are absolutely worth keeping! (or selling)

Adding some pictures of the backs of the machines or with the cases open would let us see what is in installed.

Were there any software boxes/disks/manuals with these?

kgober
October 7th, 2017, 07:19 AM
I think the monitor just has a glare filter on it. The cable coming off of it probably goes to a ground plug to dissipate static.

The XT 286 is interesting mostly because it's relatively uncommon. I don't know of any software that runs 'best' on an XT 286 -- anything I can think of will either work better on an AT, or better on an XT. I guess if you are collecting computers to have, it's a good item to keep. But if you are collecting computers to use, it doesn't fill any interesting niche.

IceEva
October 7th, 2017, 12:46 PM
thanks a lot for the answers, I can have a better look and open them on Monday at work and add some more pictures of the inside and back. I have no interest myself in keeping this. We found it in the attic and my colleagues were about to put everything in the trash when I stopped them and took some pictures. I wanted to find out if any of this is worth keeping. I am not looking to make any profit, as I do not own the stuff anyway. My thought was just if this is worth something to some museum or some collector it would be better than throwing it into the trash. there is loads of software (on floppy disks) as well, I have not had a look at this yet. But as we are a botanical garden the computers were kept to run mostly the database of the the collection on it (dbase II - dbase IV).

SpidersWeb
October 7th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I thought it had zero wait state RAM which actually outperformed the AT in some scenarios. I'd love one, just never come across one here to bid on.

Caleb Hansberry
October 7th, 2017, 04:38 PM
I think the XT 286 is interesting, to me more interesting than the original XT.

That does indeed look like a filter to me, anti glare or something, one I had all I noticed was it made the screen dimmer. If it's custom designed for that monitor then it's rare and collectible.

Retro Canada
October 7th, 2017, 05:38 PM
I thought it had zero wait state RAM which actually outperformed the AT in some scenarios. I'd love one, just never come across one here to bid on.

There is one right now in a warbid: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-Xt-286-Model-5162-Vintage-Computer-with-IBM-5053-No-Keyboard-And-Mouse/122737852998?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

SpidersWeb
October 7th, 2017, 10:57 PM
There is one right now in a warbid: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-Xt-286-Model-5162-Vintage-Computer-with-IBM-5053-No-Keyboard-And-Mouse/122737852998?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I'm in New Zealand unfortunately, shipping is just always too much on top of the purchase price :(

bobba84
October 8th, 2017, 02:17 PM
I'm in New Zealand unfortunately, shipping is just always too much on top of the purchase price :(

I know that feeling, being in AUS is the same.

zombienerd
October 8th, 2017, 04:00 PM
IceEva, where are you located? I'm sure there are several collectors local to you, maybe even a few with a museum. I'm sure a donation to your organization could be made in trade for the hardware.

A-ko
October 8th, 2017, 05:33 PM
DO NOT let that stuff go in the trash! Find a local collector or museum to get it to. Nice finds!

IceEva
October 9th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Hi guys,

I am in the North of Iceland, so I guess the shipping is the biggest problem. I will have a look if there is a museum or a collector. I took some more pictures, but have not opened it.
There is a glare filter on the monitor, sorry about the cables on top, there is an extra filter as well for it. There is a funny-looking mouse and loads of software disks as attached. I think it will probably not pay off to offer this on some international websites as everything would have to be shipped out of Iceland. Anyway, thanks for your interest!