PDA

View Full Version : Wierd 80186 board

Christoffer
October 11th, 2017, 07:32 AM
I just got home from the electronics store with a giant box of old pcbs, and among the more interesting was this 80186 board:
It's a controller board from a computerized vacuum gauge/controller unit,
MKS146, apparently.

I originally thought it was an ISA motherboard, with custom connectors (headers instead of ISA sockets), but on closer inspection they're the wrong pin count.
Implementing ISA with an 80186 should be more straightforward, since it has a lot of peripherals built in though.

Looks to be late 80's start 90's.
In its entirety, it's just a very standard "application note" style system, featuring CPU, 80187 coprocessor, dual (giant!) EEPROMs, 64Kbyte RAM, i8251 UART, 74LS latches and decoders and that's about it. It looks really straightforward to mod, and If one made some plugin cards. If one fed it some interrupt controllers, I think it's within the realm of possibilities to get it to talk to actual ISA cards. It'd be wicked to get it to boot dos or CP/M.

Has anyone seen this board before? You never know!

thanks for the interest!

Xacalite
October 11th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Were there ever non-weird 186 or 188 boards?

BloodyCactus
October 11th, 2017, 08:09 AM
considering 80186 was designed purely for embedded work, I'm sure they are all wierd (I think there was a laptop made using 186?)

Christoffer
October 11th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Well, it's the first 18x board I've had in hand period. It does seem to be kinda like a 16 bit 8085, that has sorta microcontroller utility, but still is an actual cpu.

Another slightly wierd detail is that this board were a really high-end piece of lab-kit, in a rack unit with large LCD and all (all that's missing) - this one has stick-on rubber feet on the pcb!
That tells me someone's been playing around with it before, so who knows? perhaps the roms has been customized to do something other than intended!