PDA

View Full Version : Magnavox Metalis 286 drive clicking.

twistedpneumatic
October 15th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I'm trying everything to format this drive and it just kinda clicks when accessed. It spins up when it is told to, but reports a controller failure in some programs and in others says every sector failed. Is the drive dead and which one should I replace it with? Any way to CF-Card XT-IDE it?

mR_Slug
October 17th, 2017, 11:15 AM
I don't know much about the Magnavox Metalis 286, but a Google search turned up that it's a laptop. You need to find out what interface the HDD uses. If it's IDE then the CF-card will likely work. Unless by some chance it has a standard ISA slot, you wont be able to use the XT-IDE card, the XT-IDE BIOS alone needs a spare DIP socket. You may be able to do a low-level format on the drive to fix it.

twistedpneumatic
October 17th, 2017, 11:34 AM
The 40MB version of the drive in the machine is a Conner 4044XT if that helps. Will the CF card still work even though it is only using 8 bits not 16?

KenEG
October 17th, 2017, 12:27 PM
If it has a standard 16 bit IDE interface that uses a 44 pin connector, replacing the drive with a 44 pin disk on module should work. You wil probably have to use a small one, 256 mb, because the BIOS probably won't accept CHS values large enough to use larger ones. It can be a little challenging to find the right CHS settings though. I wonder if the XT-IDE could be loaded into memory from a floppy disk and used to find the correct settings. I have only used DOMs on desktops (40 pin DOMs) where I could plug it into the slave position or the secondary controller and use the Windows disk manager to read the settings. I guess you could use a 44 pin to 40 pin adapter to do that.

twistedpneumatic
October 17th, 2017, 12:53 PM
The BIOS will only has 5 options: none,20MB,30MB,40MB,60MB.

Someone with its sister computer, the Metalis SX/20 said the drive is a Conner 4044XT (40MB model). I believe it is the same unit but with a 386 and 40MB drive.

I think that is XTA is XT-IDE. Can the CF Card or DOM still work?