PDA

View Full Version : How do I make boot disks for a 5150?

8008guy
October 21st, 2017, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I just bought a 5150. I'm wondering how you guys have created boot disks that work in the old double density drives? I have an old 386 machine but it has a high density 5 1/4 floppy drive. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

len

krebizfan
October 21st, 2017, 09:06 AM
The most reliable solution is to remove one of the drives from the 5150 and install it in the 386 if there is room. Create a couple of disks. Return the drive to the 5150.

Some 5150s only have single sided drives. Using the drive from the system ensures you will get the right type of boot disk.

Stone
October 21st, 2017, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I just bought a 5150. I'm wondering how you guys have created boot disks that work in the old double density drives? I have an old 386 machine but it has a high density 5 1/4 floppy drive. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

lenYou can try it in the 386. You just might get lucky. If it doesn't work you've lost nothing but a little time. Doing it this way can't hurt either machine.

KC9UDX
October 21st, 2017, 10:40 AM
What I've done, just stated in another thread, is write double-step disks in the high destiny drive, and then use the computer with the low destiny drive to copy the disk.

have to use a bulk magnetic media eraser or strong degausser to completely wipe the disk first, or the low destiny drive will not be able to read the half-tracks written in the high destiny drive (because data on the other half of the track will commingle with the one you wrote and produce garbage).

mbbrutman
October 21st, 2017, 11:07 AM
What I've done, just stated in another thread, is write double-step disks in the high destiny drive, and then use the computer with the low destiny drive to copy the disk.

have to use a bulk magnetic media eraser or strong degausser to completely wipe the disk first, or the low destiny drive will not be able to read the half-tracks written in the high destiny drive (because data on the other half of the track will commingle with the one you wrote and produce garbage).

I'm not quite I understand why it is necessary to explicitly "double step" in this case.

If you use a 360K format (double density) diskette in a 1.2MB drive, DOS reads the boot sector, figures out the media type, and then knows to double step the tracks. The double stepping is automatic; there is no need to tell anything to do it.

The issue is the head width. If you start with a blank/degaussed 360K double density diskette and write it in the 1.2MB drive you should be able to read it on the 360K drive with no problems. If the disk has been previously used then the narrower head of the 1.2MB drive can't properly overwrite the tracks, leading to mixed/muddied signals that the fatter 360K drive head can not interpret.

modem7
October 21st, 2017, 01:18 PM
Update the 'Location' field in your profile. If you are in Australia, I will freely post to you a boot disk.

8008guy
October 21st, 2017, 01:30 PM
Update the 'Location' field in your profile. If you are in Australia, I will freely post to you a boot disk.

Fixed, I had that on there before.... Anyway, I am in the States.

8008guy
October 21st, 2017, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys, Ill try the hd drive on the 386. Otherwise I will swap a drive out ouf the 5150.

Thanks.

Len

modem7
October 21st, 2017, 02:02 PM
... Otherwise I will swap a drive out of the 5150.
When moving a double density drive to an AT-class system, you need to be aware of a possible problem: See the 'Floppy disk drive - Pin 34' section at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/5170/problems/5170_known_problems_issues.htm)].

I and others have sometimes encountered that. If the drive does not have a way of stopping the generation of the READY signal, then one method is to put sticky tape on the pin 34 contact of the drive's edge connector (obviously clean well after later removal). Makers of connector adapters often catered for the situation by the provision of a disconnect-pin34 jumper (example at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/diskette/diskette_drive_3.5_5.25_adapter_1.jpg)]).

8008guy
November 6th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Follow up question...

What software was used to create the .img files in these archives"

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Software/OS/DOS/IBM/

Can I use dd to put them back on a floppy?

len

Xacalite
November 6th, 2017, 07:52 PM
They are raw diskette images, so yes, unixish dd should work fine, dskimage is also OK - http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/downloads/DskImage.zip

GravityCrab
November 24th, 2017, 07:40 AM
I know I'm probably late to the party but I found these pretty handy when I got my 5150. Ya pretty much just run it in DOS and BOOM ya got a boot disk.

http://www.retroarchive.org/dos/disks/

8008guy
November 24th, 2017, 06:35 PM
I've made a ton of progress thiss week. I got my 5150 running and booted. I bought a 360k drive off ebay and put it in and old dos machine to make my boot disks. (Dos 6.2). Before powering it up I pulled both the drives on the 5150, cleaned and lubed them.

Once I got booted I installed my xt-ide v4 card and now have a 2 gig hd!

Today I made a laplink cable and copied the rest of dos, some utilites, and tc 1.0 over to the 5150. I even compiled a program.

Man... Talking about a time warp. This takes me back to the 80's when I bought my first clone. I still have quite a few disketts boxed up.

Len