PDA

View Full Version : 5150 Monochrome card can't see on a Color screen??

KLund1
October 27th, 2017, 04:14 PM
I just got 2 5150's, they appear in good condition. I'm still new to these machines. They both have monochrome video cards. But I only have a IBM 5153 color monitor that worked great with my 5160(it is deep in storage now). When I boot each 5150 I get nothing on the screen. Just white to black when power is turned on. I do not the Beep on power up. I have a model F keyboard connected. Can the 5153 display monochrome output? Should there be a beep on power up? There is no FD drive lights after power up. I tested the PSU output and I get about 5V with a multimeter.

glitch
October 27th, 2017, 04:58 PM
No, a 5153 CGA monitor will *NOT* work on a MDA (monochrome) card. I forget if this is one of those combinations that can actually damage the monitor...

SomeGuy
October 27th, 2017, 05:01 PM
An IBM 5153 requires a CGA card (or perhaps an EGA card in CGA compatiblity mode). An IBM MDA or Hercules Monographics Adapter will not work. They both use the same size plugs, but the wiring is different, and they use significantly different video resolutions.

I would expect that even with out a monitor attached you would eventually get a beep, and if there were no other errors it would try and boot the floppy. (Might try pressing F1 in case there is a detected error you cant see, but it should still beep first)

SpidersWeb
October 27th, 2017, 05:49 PM
As already covered - card and monitor don't match, and you should hear a beep and see floppy drive access. Although I will say a 5150 that's been expanded to a full 640KB of RAM, does take a long time to finish the RAM test. It could be easy for someone to think "thats long enough" and shut the power off prematurely.

If you do get a screen, and are sure the speaker is wired up properly, switches are set correctly, and you've reseated things like the CPU + removed unnessecary cards etc and keep the same symptoms then I'd check out http://minuszerodegrees.net/supersoft_landmark/Supersoft%20Landmark%20ROM.htm

But hopefully you get a beep!

modem7
October 27th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Although I will say a 5150 that's been expanded to a full 640KB of RAM, does take a long time to finish the RAM test. It could be easy for someone to think "thats long enough" and shut the power off prematurely.
55 seconds for my 640 KB equipped 5150. Then the beep.

KLund1
October 28th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Ok, got it. No mono on color display. Wait a long time for beep if no screen. I will looking for a mono screen for future testing.
Thanks everyone!!! I was get get great help here!

David_M
October 28th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Ok, got it. No mono on color display. Wait a long time for beep if no screen. I will looking for a mono screen for future testing.
Thanks everyone!!! I was get get great help here!

The cheapest alternative is to get a CGA card. There are a few on ebay for around the $20 mark.

glitch
October 28th, 2017, 01:35 PM
The cheapest alternative is to get a CGA card. There are a few on ebay for around the $20 mark.

And they're much harder to destroy in shipping! I'm in the process of selling off some non-IBM monochrome MDA monitors and they're one of the few things that always gets Sealed Air InstaPak-RT foam bags. Too fragile for the shipping gorillas, otherwise. A lot of sellers don't go through that level of trouble.

Stone
October 28th, 2017, 01:37 PM
I've got a Datamedia CGA card if that's of interest:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=41586&d=1366908960

KLund1
October 30th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone.
I got a 5151 to test. I was told that it was working. But it may not be.
First, when I plug it into the 5150 PSU, and power it up. I get nothing from the 5151. No static, or high pitch sounds from it. And of course, no picture. I opened the 5151 up and checked the fuse and it is good. in fact, the whole inside look good. no dust, or rust, no bulging, leaking caps I can see. The small end of the tube dose not glow. One thing, the 5150 psu output plug reads about 65V
So is it possible I killed the video card when I hooked up to the 5153?

KC9UDX
October 30th, 2017, 06:03 PM
It sounds to me like you're mixing up too many different things. First, let's deal with that 65V. If that's correct, your monitor won't work and it has nothing to do with the video card, yet.

If you're using a good meter, which measures been 117 and 128 volts AC at an outlet, and you're getting 65V between the two outermost pins of your power supply, then something bizarre is wrong with your power supply. You can use a standard power cord to power the monitor for now.

Stone
October 30th, 2017, 06:10 PM
I got a 5151 to test. I was told that it was working. But it may not be.
First, when I plug it into the 5150 PSU, and power it up. I get nothing from the 5151. No static, or high pitch sounds from it. And of course, no picture.... The small end of the tube dose not glow.A 5151 only operates when it's connected to a video card. AC alone is not sufficient for it to show signs of life and that includes the filament.

billdeg
October 30th, 2017, 06:33 PM
And do you have the correct switch settings on the motherboard for mono vs. CGA? *that* is how to fry a monochrome card. BUT likely it's ok-sh because a shorted card will cause the entire system to power off quickly after powering on.

Look up the correct switch settings on your motherboard (with power off of course)...make sure it's set to monochrome. Make sure you're looking at the correct motherboard settings, as there were more than one 5150 motherboard type. Then verify your card/display are attached correctly / everything seated correctly. Use slot 2 if you can for the display card. Turn the display's knobs to the right. Plug in the keyboard to the keyboard (not cassette) port. Power on the computer. You should see something almost right away. Adjust the display knobs to the left until it looks better. If you see nothing but a line in the center of the display (horizontal) that means you have a display problem. Try banging on the side of the display to wake it up (don't bang on top). If your display is squished in any direction, rolls, etc. you have a display problem. If you see weird characters on the screen, only half a screen, overlapping characters/lines, duplicate lines, then your controller has issues.

Don't leave an original monochrome card unattended for very long, they can blow caps and catch fire.

Have fun.

Bill

Casey
October 30th, 2017, 06:59 PM

Especially if you don't insist on original IBM equipment. :)

modem7
October 30th, 2017, 08:57 PM
AC alone is not sufficient for it to show signs of life and that includes the filament.
According to the IBM 5151 pages at the knowledgeable web site at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net)], AC alone is enough for filament (heater) operation.

modem7
October 30th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Use slot 2 if you can for the display card.
For what reason ?

Trixter
October 30th, 2017, 09:10 PM
They both have monochrome video cards.

Are you 100% sure of that? Are you familiar with what each looks like, and/or have you pulled them out an examined them? CGA and MDA use the same connector, so you should be aware of what you have so that you're connecting the correctly monitor.