PDA

View Full Version : Quadram PCjr Annual Dance

falter
November 7th, 2017, 09:01 PM
My PCjr has the Quadram expansion on it. Every year without fail I go to play a Sierra game on it (after letting it sit a while) and every time I do it doesn't recognize the second drive properly or at all. Every year, I pop the hood, remove and replug cables, and then some it works, and it'll stay that way until I let it sit for an extended period again. I don't see a battery in there anywhere.. curious if anyone knows whether I should be looking to the jr itself or the expansion unit for this. I notice when the drive isn't working it still spins when the lower drive is being accessed.

KenEG
November 8th, 2017, 03:03 AM
There is a battery for the RTC in the sidecar that connects it to the jr. That wouldn't stop the drive from working. More likely, the drive rails need cleaned and lubricated. Use q-tips dipped in IPA to clean them and then a q-tip soaked with 3in1 or sewing machine oil to lube them. If you don't know about it, brutman.com has a lot of information about the jr on it. I have a Quadram unit that I swapped a 720kb 3.5" drive into. You have to use a DOS command in your config.sys to tell DOS it's parameters, but it worked very well for me.

DDS
November 8th, 2017, 03:30 AM
There is a battery for the RTC in the sidecar that connects it to the jr. That wouldn't stop the drive from working. More likely, the drive rails need cleaned and lubricated. Use q-tips dipped in IPA to clean them and then a q-tip soaked with 3in1 or sewing machine oil to lube them. If you don't know about it, brutman.com has a lot of information about the jr on it. I have a Quadram unit that I swapped a 720kb 3.5" drive into. You have to use a DOS command in your config.sys to tell DOS it's parameters, but it worked very well for me.

Note that in this case, IPA is probably Isopropyl Alcohol. India Pale Ale will likely make things not so good. On the other hand, I haven't tried it!

;-)

eeguru
November 8th, 2017, 03:41 AM
It may not make the Jr work, but it will make the Jr owner feel better about it not working...