PDA

View Full Version : IBM 4869 External 5.25 Floppy Disk Drive

dmcdream
November 9th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Hello all,

I've purchased 2 Lenovo M50 8189 tower PCs. They were built around 2004, and are both currently running Windows XP. Each tower also has a built-in 3.5" Floppy Drive. I am trying to find a DB37 PCI Card (and driver software), in order to connect one of them to an IBM 4869 External 5.25 Floppy Disk Drive. I want to access some legacy application software.

I found the following on eBay, however I'm not exactly sure it's what I'm looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Startech-PCI4S650DV-4-Port-PCI-Serial-Card-W-Legacy-Port-Remap-Function-16650/222153053424?epid=1539084790&hash=item33b95a94f0:g:R6gAAOSw3xJVeJOY

I would be grateful for any help and assistance you can offer me at this time.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks in advance.

Allan

ldkraemer
November 10th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Allan,
While booting your Desktop, depress whatever key you need, to get into the BIOS. Check to see if there is a selection for 5.25" Floppy
in your BIOS settings. You also should have a selection for Floppy B:.

If this is the case you just need to have another connector on your Floppy Interface Cable, or replace it with a longer cable. You will
find that likely the 3.5" floppy is on the end of the cable, will be strapped for DS1 (DS{0..3}), and there probably is a twist in the cable for
conductors 10 thru 16 before the end connector.

You can add another connector (Edge Connector Type) and just plug in the 5.25" Floppy Drive (along with the Power Connector) and
use the 5.25" Floppy, with XP. (The 5.25" Floppy will have to also be strapped for DS1 for it to work properly.)

You could also just squeeze another connector on the end of the cable, and use just the single 5.25" floppy on the end of the cable,
removing the 3.5" floppy.

(From what my Google search located, that model doesn't support a floppy drive. But, CNET could be incorrect.)

I'm pretty sure you have PCI slots on the Motherboard, and you could try inserting an Adaptec AHA-1522 or AHA-1542 PCI
SCSI Controller. Just make sure the the Floppy Connector is on the Board, as some just have the SCSI Connector and no
Floppy Connector. The AHA-1522 will control the floppy's you want to control. Windows might not recognize the Hardware,
so you may have to use a Linux LiveCD to do what you want. You would also have to install the following packages:
mtools and fdutils.

Larry

Chuck(G)
November 10th, 2017, 06:40 AM
That Startech card is a 4-port serial card and has nothing to do with floppies.

To use a 4869, you'll need a way to go to a DC37F bulkhead connector. If you can find a bracket, you can construct a cable, but there were also adapters that took one of your floppy cable connectors and matched them up with a DC37. Not common, but they existed--and they have nothing to do with slots per se. There were also ISA "switch" cards that decoded the upper bits in the floppy DOR to handle an extra drive--those did require an ISA slot.

chulofiasco
November 10th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I've got these drives and controllers in stock. IBM made an ISA and MCA version controller for the device. The ISA controller was limited to 360K drives. There were two flavors of MCA, one limited to 360K also, the other capable of 360K or 1.2MB.