PDA

View Full Version : DTK PIM-TURBO 8MHZ board CMOS battery

Bits
November 9th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Hello folks!

I recently finished assembling a vintage PC rig that uses a DTK PIM-TURBO 8Mhz motherboard. I'm using an IBM floppy disk controller with a new Sony 3.5 floppy drive, and a Compaq CGA card hooked up to a Compaq Deskpro mono monitor. I even made the AT2XT keyboard adapter here (http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?26426-AT2XT-keyboard-converter) (took me a few tries!) and can now use my AT keyboard as well. Last but not least, I made a IBM PC-DOS 3.3 boot disk using an image I got from WinWorldPC.com.

It took forever to get this far (learned a lot along the way) and I'm very happy with how things turned out. Next step is to make a custom case for it :D

I do have one simple questions though. Every time I boot the date/time is reset. Where in the world is the CMOS battery on this motherboard? :oops:

SpidersWeb
November 9th, 2017, 11:36 PM
There isn't one.

Common thing to do on these machines is installing a card (or similar) with a battery backed up real time clock, such as the AST SixPackPlus.
Or just leaving the time/date as is.

There were also no-slot clock options that used either a ROM socket or the CPU socket.

KenEG
November 10th, 2017, 02:51 AM
I have this same computer. On mine, the RTC is part of the multifunction card that has the floppy controller, serial, and parallel ports on it.

Bits
November 10th, 2017, 06:02 AM
Thanks folks, I'll keep an eye out for a card on eBay. I was hoping it just needed an external battery pack plugged into one of jumper pairs I have yet to identify (like JP1).

Speaking of which, anyone know what JP1 is used for? Here's a pic:

Trixter
November 10th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Another solution is to just set the time via NTP using the mTCP suite and a network card, which is what I do on my "daily driver" XT.

Bits
November 11th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

modem7
November 13th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Speaking of which, anyone know what JP1 is used for?
It is in roughly the same place as JP4 on the 10 MHz PIM motherboard.
Manual and photo at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#DTK)].
On that motherboard, JP4 is a connector for a reset switch.