PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get software from MODERN PC to my 5150

Pet4016
November 18th, 2017, 07:10 AM
I saved 2 IBM XT's from being scrapped by my local recycling center a few years ago. I have a 5160 and a 5271. I have boxes of blank 5 1/4's and plenty of software I've downloaded, but realized I don't have an easy way to get software from my PC to the XT's.... My first PC was a 286 PC Clone so It had Bios settings, and I used to mess around with it as a kid and you could change the Bios settings. I remember running a 1.44 as a 720k and I think it worked... I think I even ran a 1.44 under the 1.2 5 1/4 setting. I really can't remember. But what I was thinking is could I put a high density 3.5 drive in the XT and run it as a low density and then tape the high density hole on a floppy disk so my PC thinks it's low density and do file transfers that way?

modem7
November 18th, 2017, 03:51 PM
But what I was thinking is could I put a high density 3.5 drive in the XT and run it as a low density and then tape the high density hole on a floppy disk so my PC thinks it's low density and do file transfers that way?
That usually works.

See also some other methods shown at [here (http://minuszerodegrees.net/transfer/transfer.htm)].