PDA

View Full Version : IDE Cable as 55SX FDD connector?

Bludacious
November 22nd, 2017, 11:31 AM
I have a bone stock IBM 55SX. As tends to happen with these the Dallas clock module has ceased to function, so while I can get it to boot I get errors 61 and 63. I know that to reconfigure the bios and eliminate these errors I'll need the model-correct reference disk which I have a copy of. Problem is, both the drive that came with my machine and the untested replacement I bought don't work (both are 1.44m). I finally got to taking a closer look at the 40 to 34 pin cable that goes from the board to the drive, and noticed that the 1st pin cable (the red one) was totally cut out. My question is this: is this configuration the correct one, and if not can I use a standard 40-pin IDE cable to connect them (shifted over on the drive end so the 1st pin on both ends lines up)? I was also hoping someone could tell me which cables I need to connect to the 4 pin standard floppy power connector on this model if I want to hack it to a standard 3.5" drive. Some people say odd numbered wires 3-9 and others say 34-40 need to be cut so I'm not sure which ones are for my model.

modem7
November 22nd, 2017, 08:57 PM
Welcome to these forums.

I have a bone stock IBM 55SX. As tends to happen with these the Dallas clock module has ceased to function, so while I can get it to boot I get errors 61 and 63. I know that to reconfigure the bios and eliminate these errors I'll need the model-correct reference disk which I have a copy of.
You may also need to fix the Dallas clock module.

... and noticed that the 1st pin cable (the red one) was totally cut out. My question is this: is this configuration the correct one, ...
It appears to be normal. See [here (http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?59121)].