PDA

View Full Version : XT-IDE No Longer Working!

fsmith2003
November 26th, 2017, 12:12 AM
I may have destroyed my XT-IDE Rev 3! I was just messing around with it and put it in a newer Socket 4 motherboard to see what would happen. Well nothing booted up. Now that I have placed it back in my Tandy 1000 it no longer truns on or does anything at all. Did I fry the board? Is there anything I can do to get it going again?

Chuck(G)
November 26th, 2017, 07:42 AM
I'd first try reflashing the BIOS. The XT-IDE, fortunately, uses commodity components.

fsmith2003
November 26th, 2017, 08:40 AM
I'd first try reflashing the BIOS. The XT-IDE, fortunately, uses commodity components.

Pardon my ignorance but its been quite some time since I have had to do anything with it. How do I go about flashing it again?

Stone
November 26th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I may have destroyed my XT-IDE Rev 3! I was just messing around with it and put it in a newer Socket 4 motherboard to see what would happen. Well nothing booted up. Now that I have placed it back in my Tandy 1000 it no longer truns on or does anything at all. Did I fry the board? Is there anything I can do to get it going again?Did it work OK in your Tandy just before you tried it in the Socket 4 board?

If it hasn't been successfully used recently you can't really say that the Socket 4 board was the culprit because it might have already been dead before you removed it from the Tandy.

Chuck(G)
November 26th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Pardon my ignorance but its been quite some time since I have had to do anything with it. How do I go about flashing it again?

XTIDECFG (http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/)

fsmith2003
November 26th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Did it work OK in your Tandy just before you tried it in the Socket 4 board?

If it hasn't been successfully used recently you can't really say that the Socket 4 board was the culprit because it might have already been dead before you removed it from the Tandy.

Yes I have been using it in the Tandy for about a year with no problems.

fsmith2003
November 26th, 2017, 10:12 AM
XTIDECFG (http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/)

I’m not able to get into any menu or anything at this point. It’s as though it isn’t detected whatsoever. Just goes straight to the built in bios of the computer.

Chuck(G)
November 26th, 2017, 10:43 AM
If this is the original XT-IDE board, re-socket the ICs and check the solder side for cold-solder joints. For some reason, this was a problem with the original run of boards. Remember that the board is not so much of a controller (with any intelligence), but simply an adapter between buses. If you've got a logic probe, see if the on-board BIOS actually gets selected.

fsmith2003
November 26th, 2017, 12:10 PM
If this is the original XT-IDE board, re-socket the ICs and check the solder side for cold-solder joints. For some reason, this was a problem with the original run of boards. Remember that the board is not so much of a controller (with any intelligence), but simply an adapter between buses. If you've got a logic probe, see if the on-board BIOS actually gets selected.

It’s a rev 3 board. I will look into the solder but at a glance it all looks good.

ibmapc
November 26th, 2017, 12:16 PM
1. Did a jumper come loose or a switch get changed?
2. What kind of drive is plugged in.
3. Is it plugged in backwards?
4. Does it(the drive) have power?

Stone
November 26th, 2017, 12:32 PM
... its been quite some time since I have had to do anything with it.

Yes I have been using it in the Tandy for about a year with no problems.Sorry, but you can't have it both ways! :-)

fsmith2003
November 26th, 2017, 01:04 PM
1. Did a jumper come loose or a switch get changed?
2. What kind of drive is plugged in.
3. Is it plugged in backwards?
4. Does it(the drive) have power?

I've been using one of those SD-IDE adapters. Ive tried with and without it connected. It is plugged in the correct way and yes it has power. It went from working as of a few days ago to not at all now. I've not made any changes to jumpers. Simply took out of Tandy and placed into the Pentium board then switched back after it did not work in the Pentium board. Now does not work in Tandy. I noticed if i do not supply power to the hard drive the white LED will blink repeatedly on the XT-IDE device. But the XT-IDE menu will still not pull up on the screen.

SpidersWeb
November 26th, 2017, 03:25 PM
I'd recommend double checking any configuration switches or jumpers, quite possible you accidentally bumped/flipped one when moving between machines.
That just seems like the most likely reason for the Tandy not to see it anymore (to me anyway).

fsmith2003
November 26th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Sorry, but you can't have it both ways! :-)

You have apparently misunderstood me. When I say I hadnít had anything to do with it I was referring to flashing the bios. Iíve not messed with anything other than just turning it on and it working for the entirety of using it since the beginning.

Chuck(G)
November 26th, 2017, 06:58 PM
Well, regardless of whether or not an IDE drive is plugged into the XTIDE, you should still be able to spot the BIOS using DEBUG.

If you don't see it at the configured address, there aren't too many things that can go wrong, namely:

1. A bad BIOS ROM (you didn't happen to plug it in "upside down" did you? If so, it's toast).
2. Misconfiguration of the adapter address (bad DIP switch/jumper) or bad 74LS688
3. Bad bus transceiver 74LS245
4. Open connection on board

The thing isn't complicated or even fussy. I built the original using whatever I had in my hellbox, including some 74HC logic that shouldn't have worked, but did.

fsmith2003
November 26th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Well, regardless of whether or not an IDE drive is plugged into the XTIDE, you should still be able to spot the BIOS using DEBUG.

If you don't see it at the configured address, there aren't too many things that can go wrong, namely:

1. A bad BIOS ROM (you didn't happen to plug it in "upside down" did you? If so, it's toast).
2. Misconfiguration of the adapter address (bad DIP switch/jumper) or bad 74LS688
3. Bad bus transceiver 74LS245
4. Open connection on board

The thing isn't complicated or even fussy. I built the original using whatever I had in my hellbox, including some 74HC logic that shouldn't have worked, but did.

Crap! I think your right. I didnít even think about it at the time but I plugged it in to a motherboard on a test bench and without even thinking I probably plugged it in with the ide port facing the back of the motherboard. In fact I am sure of it. Well at least now I know. So is this fixable at all or is it time to buy a whole new one?

Chuck(G)
November 26th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Depends on your soldering (and unsoldering skills). The ICs themselves are only a few bucks' worth--and I'd follow my usual bent and install sockets. The passive components are probably still okay.

I trust that you didn't bork the Tandy 1K...

fsmith2003
November 26th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Depends on your soldering (and unsoldering skills). The ICs themselves are only a few bucks' worth--and I'd follow my usual bent and install sockets. The passive components are probably still okay.

I trust that you didn't bork the Tandy 1K...

It was plugged into the Tandy the right way. It boots up just to the built in bios of the Tandy. Is there a chance using this bad xt-ide would have damaged the Tandy now?

Also it appears as though my AT28c256 is socketed. So would I just be able to get that replaced?

Chuck(G)
November 26th, 2017, 08:35 PM
I'd definitely start with that, as most TTL is pretty rugged, but the EEPROM is CMOS.

Dwight Elvey
November 27th, 2017, 06:29 AM
Maybe, I'm a little dense but why would you plug a board with a bios made for and XT into a Pentium board?
Dwight

glitch
November 27th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Yeah, if you plugged it in backwards in the ISA slot, you've almost certainly fried something. As ChuckG said, try replacing the EEPROM first and reflashing -- the only thing required to make the EEPROM work is a few resistors and a 74LS688.

fsmith2003
November 27th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Maybe, I'm a little dense but why would you plug a board with a bios made for and XT into a Pentium board?
Dwight

Well it probably makes no sense but I have a board that wouldnít get passed the bios screen before freezing. I was just curious if the computer would boot if I used the xt-ide and itís built in bios but It probably doesnít even work that way. Just mindless experimentation really.

glitch
November 27th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Well it probably makes no sense but I have a board that wouldn’t get passed the bios screen before freezing. I was just curious if the computer would boot if I used the xt-ide and it’s built in bios but It probably doesn’t even work that way. Just mindless experimentation really.

No reason it wouldn't work, providing of course that the motherboard was OK to start with. I've booted them in my Pentium 3 PICMG chassis before.

fsmith2003
November 27th, 2017, 08:43 AM
No reason it wouldn't work, providing of course that the motherboard was OK to start with. I've booted them in my Pentium 3 PICMG chassis before.

Cool thatís what I was hoping. However it would help if it wasnít put in backwards! Lol

Also, if I put the xt-ide into a modern-ish machine with an ISA slot and run the xtidecfg program in dos I can pull the bios from the eprom. However it will not let me flash a new one to it. Does this mean the eprom is bad since I canít flash a new one to it? I am able to load it though from the chip so it is confusing me.

glitch
November 27th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Make sure you set the WE switch to ON, it prevents you from writing otherwise. You may also have to fool around with the SDP (Software Data Protect) setting in XTIDECFG.

Malc
November 27th, 2017, 09:35 AM
If the EEprom is trashed which it very likely is if you plugged the card in the wrong way round, You may still be able to read it but it will be gibberish, All messed up!, But you won't be able to erase it or write to it, Have you got a programmer to read the eeprom in ?, You will probably find the auto ID will fail as well, If you can dump the bios with xtidecfg post a copy here and we can have a look.

Chuck(G)
November 27th, 2017, 10:01 AM
I'm reminded of looking for a particular BIOS and finding someone with a board containing said code. I bought the board--and discovered that when it was delivered, the EPROMs were in backward. Needless to say, they were trash. :(

fsmith2003
November 27th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I should clarify. My eprom was never put in backwards. It was the board as a whole that I inserted into the ISA slot backwards. When I place the board into an ISA slot now the correct way I am still able to load the bios from the eprom through xtidecfg. It will not let me make any changes to it though. No erase or anything. However it will not boot into that bios at startup on any computer anymore.

I ordered a new bios chip. I will see if it will accept flashing the bios onto it through the old board. If so then I can confirm that it is the old chip that went bad after plugging the board into to the ISA slot backwards.

jmetal88
November 27th, 2017, 04:50 PM
I may have just been unlucky (yours could be fine), but when I plugged my Lo-Tech XT-IDE CF adapter in backwards once it took out not only the EEPROM, but also the 74LS245.

fsmith2003
November 27th, 2017, 05:22 PM
I may have just been unlucky (yours could be fine), but when I plugged my Lo-Tech XT-IDE CF adapter in backwards once it took out not only the EEPROM, but also the 74LS245.

I suppose once this bios chip comes back we shall see what damage was done. Might get to put my soldering skills, or lack thereof' to work if i need to replace the 74LS245.

Krille
November 28th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Also, if I put the xt-ide into a modern-ish machine with an ISA slot and run the xtidecfg program in dos I can pull the bios from the eprom. However it will not let me flash a new one to it. Does this mean the eprom is bad since I can’t flash a new one to it? I am able to load it though from the chip so it is confusing me.

It's possible that the system BIOS automatically enables shadowing for any option ROM BIOS it finds to improve performance. This will prevent writing to the ROM. See if you can disable shadowing for the memory range used by XUB in BIOS Setup.