PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Software

bbcmicro
January 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
I am looking for dos based terminal software that will run on a 486 and fit on a floppy.
I am asking because I may be doing something wrong, but Terminal and Hyperterminal with win 3.1 & XP respectively, dont seem to let you just type in commands. I want to connect two computers using their modems, and a simple line simulator. I have built the line simulator, now I need a program running on each pc.

To connect, I apparantly have to type 'AT' and wait for 'OK', then ATD on one computer and ATA on the other. Off the top of my head, I think that may be dial and answer as a wild guess.

So, any minimalistic, absolutely newbie-friendly recomendations? I have no idea what I am doing, that's why it's fun.

Thrashbarg
January 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

As far as I'm concerned, Kermit is the best terminal emulator there is ;) Plus you can still download it for your Apple ][

ahm
January 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
I am looking for dos based terminal software that will run on a 486 and fit on a floppy.

DGTERM (http://www.google.com/search?q=dgterm.zip)

It's small (27K), does a decent VT102 emulation, has a couple of transfer protocols,
and as an added bonus: it's a TSR (ALT-LeftShift toggles).
I've found it very useful for testing comms.

chuckcmagee
January 23rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
I used qmodem 4.x for years.

ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/pc/garbo/pc/termprog/qm46td-1.zip

ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/pc/garbo/pc/termprog/qm46td-2.zip

so called "test drive" versions. Don't think they are restricted, was shareware for years.

ahm
January 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Does QModem "fit on a floppy"?

chuckcmagee
January 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Yep, if it's a 720K one.

billdeg
January 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I agree that Kermit is the way to go. ProCom is good too.
I have many terminal programs for DOS, I try them all!

Edlin
January 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=chuckcmagee;37301]I used qmodem 4.x for years.

Are Qdos and Qmodem related? I loved Qdos. You being a Ham operator did you ever use DXbase?

chuckcmagee
January 25th, 2007, 04:26 AM
I don't think the two Qs are related. Never heard of Qdos before. I used Ndos for years (came with Norton).

Edlin
January 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Qdos (2 or 3) I believe it was, was a utility program before windows came out, you could copy files, rename folders, undelete and do various tasks, I used it and PC Tools alot. I know this has gone off subject, sorry.